Day 14 candling... *UPDATE* Hatch is finished, results are in!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gumpsgirl, Jun 22, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It is day 14 at my house and my has the time flown by! I think it has gone much faster this time around because I've been busy enjoying my chicks from the last hatch and of course, the others that are in the coop!

I started with 42 eggs again this time. I had 15 Mille Fleur d'Uccles (my DD's!), 5 WL from my nephew's that go back to my nephew, 2 Blue Jersey Giants, 3 Partridge Rocks, 10 Buff Orps., 2 mystery (I think these eggs were miss marked by the sender), and 5 Barred Rocks.

After I candled today I now have 35 eggs left! Not to bad for mostly shipped eggs! I now have 12 d'Uccles, 3 of my nephews, 1 JG, 3 PR's, 9 Buff Orps., 2 mystery, 5 BR's! Please cross your fingers that most of these babies hatch for me now! [​IMG] Hatching day is late Sat. the 28th into Sunday the 29th. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] Great results!!!!! [​IMG]

Mine are due the day before your's so here's good hatching vibes to both of us! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks Kitty! Here's to a great hatch for both of us! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Thank you Cyn! I'm excited! I just hope these d'Uccles do well for my little DD or we will all be in trouble! [​IMG]

6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Mine are due on the 28th also. Unfortunately I am down to 24 in the incubator out of 48 (shipped and scrambled) and only 12 of those that I am 100% sure I have development on. I have opened most of the ones I removed and they like someone had taken a wire whisk to the insides.

The other 12 I am unsure of so want to give them a chance.

They are some olive green eggs (amerecuana X) and pendescas(mahagony) and a couple thick shelled bluish ones.

7. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I have been very lucky with my shipped eggs. Sorry to hear about your series of unfortunate events though. I'll be crossing my fingers for you that all of the 24 you have left will hatch for you! [​IMG]

8. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Thanks - I only bid on 2 doz so I still feel I'm doing ok. The lady had packed them wonderfully and the boxes had no obvious signs of abuse - just think they got really shaken up somehow and then I had fairly high humidity in the bator the first couple days thanks to all the flooding around here. Temp has been very stable since day2 and humidity has stayed between 45-50%.

I just worry about day 18 and on - thats where I lost most of my last hatch. It was a school though and it makes me wonder if the night janitor was opening the incubator up at night.

This time its in my house - so unless my cat decides to open the bator that won't be an issue.

9. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    My hatch finished yesterday afternoon, but I wanted to wait to see if anymore eggs would hatch before I posted the results.

~4 out of 15 Mille Fleur d'Uccles hatched. [​IMG] I'm not sure what went wrong there.
    ~2 out of my nephew's 5 WL's hatched.
    ~2 out of 4 Jersey Giants hatched. (The 2 mystery eggs were indeed Jersey Giants!)
    ~3 out of 3 Partridge rocks hatched! WOO-HOO!
    ~8 out of 10 Buff Orps. hatched!
    ~4 out of 5 Barred Rocks hatched!

Not to bad except for the d'Uccles. I did get a few of those, so all is well. [​IMG]

I'll post some pictures of them this afternoon.

10. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by