1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Day 14 egg moving and making tapping sounds

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hensforbrains, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Hensforbrains

Hensforbrains In the Brooder

Sep 24, 2017
    New Zealand
    I have incubated a few batches of eggs in the past but I have never had one making tapping sounds or rocking around this early until now. Details: GLW, Day 14, humidity has been between 45-50% the entire time, temperature stable at 37.5 celcius, shipped eggs. It's only one out of 8 of them doing this. What do I do if it breaks the shell too soon?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    apryl29 likes this.
  2. WhiteWyan

WhiteWyan Songster

May 17, 2017
    Ulster Park
    You don't happen to have a back up mini incubator you could put it in do you.... Just to separate from the others?

3. Hensforbrains

Sep 24, 2017
    New Zealand
    No spare incubator :(

4. WhiteWyan

WhiteWyan Songster

May 17, 2017
    Ulster Park
    Please keep us posted on progress! Maybe you should set up your brooder sooner rather than later.

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging 5 Years

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    They're shipped eggs, wondering if someone got some eggs mixed up? That one more developed than the rest?

Do you have a heating pad? May work as a make shift incubator; cardboard box, nesting material or towels, one of those thermometer's that also checks humidity, wet sponge in a dish for humidity. Unless you can get a small (classroom size) incubator.

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  6. Hensforbrains

Sep 24, 2017
    New Zealand
    The tapping has stopped. Haven't heard it for a about 3 hours but the rocking continues and another 2 are rocking as well.

7. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging 5 Years

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Thinking you got another week, so the timing is right. Did you candle them?

8. Hensforbrains

Sep 24, 2017
    New Zealand
    I have candled them once every 4 days and they have been growing faster than my last couple of batches. First time with the wyandottes though and these eggs are quite large. I last candle them yesterday and they were very active. There were no problems that I could see

WhiteWyan and Brahma Chicken5000 like this.
  9. Following :thumbsup Do you think there might be a hot spot in the incubator? Do you have a fan in the 'bator?

10. Hensforbrains

Sep 24, 2017
    New Zealand
    There is a fan and the eggs are rotated around the incubator by the turning function.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: