Day 14 question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Buster, May 25, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Should I candle on day 14 like I did on day 7 or wait for day 18? The waiting is killing me and I want to know if everything is ok.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Honestly, I think candling on Day 14-16 is easier than on Day 18. On 18, you wont see ZIP! It will be completely black in there. I usually candle on the earlier date then just take it on faith that if the chick was alive then, it's alive on Day 18 and put it in the hatcher.

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Thanks a lot Cyn, I'll candle them tonight and give a full report. One week to go! This is my first hatch ever and I am getting excited.

4. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    candle whenever you want honestly. for education purposes you should candle more often to increase the odds of seeing when thing go one in the future. at d14 and d18, 10 minutes isn't going to harm them if everything has gone right so far, i say have at them, even if you can't see anything, you'll learn.

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

My Little Sister's Farm :

candle whenever you want honestly. for education purposes you should candle more often to increase the odds of seeing when thing go one in the future. at d14 and d18, 10 minutes isn't going to harm them if everything has gone right so far, i say have at them, even if you can't see anything, you'll learn.

You really shouldn't tell things like that to me. Now my wife will be hassling me about handling them too much! [​IMG]

6. My Little Sister's Farm

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    sorry, but it really is okay. i hatch most of my eggs in classrooms for the teachers to teach with. the eggs are candled when i have the time to come in, not on certain days in the cycle. i haven't had any problems yet. if you have a high enough powered cool lite, you should be able to see at least something at 14.

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I disagree. I think the more you handle your eggs the more you reduce hatchability. Set up scheduled candlings at the same time for each hatch and you will learn what you are looking at. I usually look at days 7 and 14 or 10 and 14.

I hear all of the time people candling their eggs every day and in the end the hatch falls apart. Too much handling does more harm than good.

Jody

8. My Little Sister's Farm

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    if your incubator is efficient though, i never have a problem. i get 95-100% every time, obviously dependent on the fertility, temp and Rh, but I do what I want when I want. That being said I don't use a Styrofoam incubator, those don't work efficiently for everyone from what I hear so some people may not be able to be as stubborn as I am.

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Mine is a home made cabinet incubator and so far the temps and humidity have been very stable so I am loathe to do anything to disturb it too much until I know more how my hatches go. I plan on candling on day 14 (today) and then moving them into the hatching area on day 18. I will have to open it this Tuesday to set pheasant eggs (thanks Jody and Charlie), but I think I can pull that off fairly quick. I am just anxious about this hatch and want it to go off without a hitch.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    All the best advice has ever been not to handle the eggs more than necessary.
    I have to say I wholeheartedly support it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by