DAY 14....shell broke?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KooKoe, Nov 29, 2010.

1. KooKoe

KooKoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    my little OEG is sitting on 7 eggs. yesterday she got up for a stretch and one egg fell out and broke. The shell broke, but the membrane is still fine. I put the egg back in the nest. Will it still hatch?

2. KooKoe

Nov 14, 2010
    sorry, correction, day 17!

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If you have it available, I would quickly seal it with a light layer of wax. I hear a lot of people do this and it works. . . Otherwise, you could get contamination, further cracking, or simply a sudden change of humidity and temperature. It is very dangerous, especially under a broody hen.

4. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    I have read here that folks use super glue and nail polish to seal it back up. I haven' t done that yet, thankfully, but I have done almost everything else wrong. Gotta make sure they don't pip where you've repaired the shell. I'm sure someone else will chime in with real experience. Tell Ms. Big-foot to watch where she steps!

5. jh7192

jh7192 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    Taneytown MD
    There's no way to determine from here if the egg will hatch. My thoughts are the internal egg contents will become contaminated or dehydrated since the shell is damaged. So, it may hatch or it may not or a sickly, contaminated chick will emerge.
    I too have heard of using super glue or Gorilla glue. In fact I think I may have done so years ago during the emu egg bubble. Cannot recall if egg hatched or what the final outcome was.

6. KooKoe

Nov 14, 2010
    ja, I looked at the egg the next day and it looked bad. She crushed it even further, so I tossed it. now we have 6. Due on Friday....[​IMG]

7. KooKoe

Nov 14, 2010
    UPDATE: Tomorrow is the big day I thought as I went about my business, cleaning coops and feeding my kiddies. I noticed that Trudie isn't sitting on her eggs, but rather standing over them, all puffed up and grumpy. I assumed she was still having issues with my new hen. Every time the new hen walks past the nest Trudie does the DINOSAUR. the clouds came up again, and it looks like it's gonna be a big storm, so I quickly went to advise my roo to take his girls indoors. When I got outside, Trudie was off the nest and having a argument with Sadee (new hen). I looked in the nest and noticed her eggs were not round???? looked closer and there were eight little eyes pearing back at me! They are a day early! I can't believe there was hatching goingn on in my copp and I had no idea!!!!

I'm ELATED! I feel like a new momma every time I have a batch hatch! I'm so proud as punch and walking around on a high!!!!!!!!! WOOp WOOOOP!

The other two eggs have pipped already, so by tomorrow I should have six little bundles of fuzz!!!!![​IMG][​IMG]

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] hope everything go's well for you! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Quote:when you say tossed do you mean you just through it out or it was dead?

10. KooKoe

Nov 14, 2010
    It was dead....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by