Day 14 small air sack

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by woolymammoth, Jan 3, 2015.

1. woolymammoth

woolymammoth Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2014
    I candeled this morning and drew lines for the air sacks. They seem small for day 14. For the first week my humidity was 60% because my hygrometer was off. For the next 7 I lowerd the humidity to about 45. I took all water out when I candeled this morning. Will this cause me problems since they have not dried out enough or am I just being too critical. I'll try and post the pictures I took

2. woolymammoth

Jul 3, 2014
    [​IMG]

3. woolymammoth

Jul 3, 2014
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  4. woolymammoth

Jul 3, 2014
    These were from day 14. Or is there something I can do to dry them out because here in a few days will be lockdown and I will have to raise the humidity

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I don't think they look too bad from the pics you have posted. A side view of the egg/eggs would be better. Don't forget you still have 4 more days before lockdown. Humidity needs to be an average over the entire incubation period short term changes in humidity don't have much affect on the eggs. Here are some candling pics for you to compare your eggs against https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=230

If you still feel they are too small leave the water out of incubator untill lockdown but monitor the air sacs still. You could even put the humidity up on day 19 and I have even read of people that don't bump up humidity untill they see the first pip.
    Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you have a good hatch.

6. Dcat

Dcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2014
    AA County Maryland
    X2 What Yorkshire said. I was amazed at how much bigger the air cells get the further along they are. They even get a little bigger during lockdown with the humidity up,

7. dorpersheep

dorpersheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2014
    Those air sacs look fairly comparable to what mine get to. Definitely great advice from Yorkshire above, it is the average that counts over the whole length of the incubation.
    Good luck with them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by