Day 14 - Temperature spike!! Need advice...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BrownEggFan, Jul 26, 2010.

1. BrownEggFan

BrownEggFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Central PA
    My homemade forced-air incubator was holding the temp steady at 99.3 for the first 10 - 11 days. Then, without explanation, the temp rose to 100.4. I had not made any changes and the bator is in the basement without any doors or windows so the ambient temp stays almost dead constant. I wasn't too worried about the increase and didn't want to start fiddlin' with the thermostat. I was thinking that maybe the chicks were beginning to generate body heat and that had caused the increase? [​IMG] Anyway, early this morning (2:00am) I went downstairs to turn the eggs and check the temp / humidity...still at 100.4. Then, this morning, the temp was at 104.1. [​IMG] I checked the max temp recording and it read 104.6 so I turned the t-stat down a little bit. I checked it about 3 hours later and it was at 95. I bumped it up a little more and am now at 96, so I just bumped it up a little more.
    My last hatch, which was my 1st, didn't go very well. That was a still-air unit without a heat shield and I think the eggs got cooked. There were four that quit at about day 7 and the other four fully developed, but never hatched. Due to what happened last time, I'm really worried about this and the possible effect on the eggs. Once I get the temp back to 99 - 100, should I candle the eggs to see if there is any movement or just let them alone? I did candle on day 11 and saw good development / movement in four of the six eggs I had set. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. BrownEggFan

Apr 25, 2010
    Central PA
    I've got the temp stabilized at 99.2. I'm afraid to try to bump it up the last 0.3 degrees for fear of going too high. I did candle two of the 4 eggs and still saw movement so I'm thinking everything is ok.

3. reesepoultry

reesepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    I would still keep the eggs. It could have just spiked for a little while. Don't loose hope yet.
    I use a genisis 1588 I have 3 of them. They seem to work really good.
    [​IMG]

4. peepswiththepoof

peepswiththepoof Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    Don't lose hope...keep them a bit longer and then candle and check them out for movement! [​IMG]

5. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    I always get a temp spike about day 14. I assume it's the chick growing inside that causes it. I now know to keep and eye out for it and slightly adjust my incubator to make up for it.

6. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    oh gosh, mine does that almost EVERYTIME I hatch eggs [​IMG]

I'm not an expert, but from my experience with hatching eggs

104 shouldn't hurt the eggs as long as it didn't stay like that for hours.

I would candle the eggs and see if you see any movment etc.

good luck! [​IMG]

-Becca

7. reesepoultry

Jul 4, 2009
    Mine never spikes. I think you guy's need new bators. That's not normal for them to spike like that. [​IMG]

8. BrownEggFan

Apr 25, 2010
    Central PA
    Reese, mine is a homemade bator, so I suppose that is entirely possible. HOWEVER, I can't understand why it would hold a constant temp of 99.3 for 15 days (3 prior to adding eggs and the first 12 days of incubation) then just randomly decide to jump several degrees for no apparent reason. Oh well, as long as my eggs are ok...[​IMG]

9. reesepoultry

Jul 4, 2009
    Sorry, I can't help you there. Hubby tried to build me a incubator. I don't use it. i let him use test eggs in it. It is just no stable enough. It also had spikes. I would say it would probably be your thermostat. You might need a new one. Sounds faulty. that's what we needed. But, I told him not to worry about it. This is just a guess. But that's where I would start.

Good luck.

10. BrownEggFan

Apr 25, 2010
    Central PA
    It's a brand new t-stat, so I hope it's not defective. I have it sitting directly on the heat shield over the bulb, so there is metal to metal contact to aid in minimizing temp swings. Here is a picture...

[​IMG]

I just candled all four eggs and everyone showed good movement! [​IMG] I got the temp stabilized at 100.4, so I'm going to leave well enough alone and maybe they'll show up a day early??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by