Day 14

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sasquatch, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    I recandled and took out 5 eggs from the remaining 19. Opening showed various stages of development.

The EEs that i put in a week after the rock eggs seem more developed. We'll see what nature brings come next Friday.

Also had 6 cuckoo maran eggs arrive today. I think I will have about 50 chickens by the end of summer!

2. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    wow i will have close to 40 by the middle of next week lol but i am going to sell alot too

3. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    also good luck on your hatch may the rest of your eggs fully develope

4. crubner

crubner Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2008
    I'm at day 14 with my first hatch. I candled last Friday and thought I only had 2 viable eggs out of five. Tonight I have 4 viable eggs! I have one that clear but since this is my first time I'm nervous about taking it out in case I'm just not seeing it correctly. How long can I leave it in the incubator? I definitely don't want it to explode! Also, do I take them out of the turner the end of day 17 or 18?

Thanks,

Cheryl

5. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i would say if u r not sure keep it in the full 21 days just keep an eye and nose on it to make sure it doesnt crack or smell, also stopping on day 17 or 18 is a big debate but i would say if you counted from the day you set then stop turning the end of day 17 if you cound from the day after you set then end on day 18

6. Sasquatch

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    I checked the bator this morning and the temps were down to 98 degrees. I hope that the eggs are still good.

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

They should still be good. 98 isn't too low to still have a good hatch. Good luck!

8. Sasquatch

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    The new LG is driving me nuts with variation. I also have an old brower tin hen tthat holds temp like a rock.

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I love hatching in my HB 1588 with a turner. I just add water and eggs and wait 18 days and take the turner out and wait three more. I hope all goes well with your hatch. I'd love to see pics of your old Brower. Do you have good hatches in it?

10. Sasquatch

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    I just got it this week the guy I bought it from swears by it. I plugged it in, set the temp and it hasn't varried. Presently it contains 1 mutt and 6 cuckoo maran eggs. The beast would easily take 5-6 dozen eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by