Day 15, air cells to small?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by giasmom, May 12, 2009.

1. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Hi, I'm on day 15 of incubating. I candled on day 9, all 8 eggs looked good. Now candled today and on 3 of the 8 eggs the air cell seems to be really small. These 3 eggs are the 3 smaller eggs of the bunch. My humidity rate has been between 30 & 40% most of the time. Was this too low? Is there anything I can do about it now? The others look more normal compared to all the candling pics I've viewed on here. By the way this is a homemade bator & I rotate the eggs away from the heat every other day & I turn three times a day. I am also using the carton method. Anyone?

2. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    This is funny in a way... I'm on day 18 of my first hatch and I'm worried about my air cells being too big!! LOL!! My humidity has also been primarily in the 30 - 45 range, so who KNOWS??? I guess if this were easy, everyone would be doing it, wouldn't they??

I wish I could be of more help, but at least you know you have a "partner in worrying!"

Best of luck. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. giasmom

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Garden Gal, Not sure if there is anything we can do to correct this at this stage or not. I was hoping that some of the pro's on here might have some suggestions. Thanks for the reply

4. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hey I have that question to! Im on day 10 or 11 of incubation and I think the air cells in my eggs are WAY to big! Anyone got any ideas? [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. giasmom

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Bantygirl, Those look pretty good to me to be on day 10 or 11. They just haven't developed enough to fill up the egg yet. When I say some of mine are to small, I mean there is hardly any air cell space. Almost the whole egg is chick. Almost.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  6. The Wolf Queen

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    giasmom said: Bantygirl, Those look pretty good to me to be on day 10 or 11. When I say some of mine are to small, I mean there is hardly any air cell space. Almost the whole egg is chick. Almost.

WOW but see its the 1rst pic egg that worries me. Here are to more hope this helps with a diagnosis. [​IMG]
    See how big the air cell is and where it is in the 2nd pic? That worries me [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2009
  7. giasmom

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Bantygirl, I say give them a few more days and look again. That one looks alot like most of mine did at that stage.Maybe just a bit less developed. Give them some more time. They will develop alot more in the next week or so. then you will know for sure. How have your temps been running?

8. giasmom

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    once again, I don't think that is all air cell,I think that space you are seeing is just undeveloped space. I may be wrong, I am no expert, but I know what mine looked like then and now.

9. The Wolf Queen

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Not sure about the temp because all my eggs are under broody hens, but yesterday and for a tiny while today a few eggs got cold because my hens decided to play 'musical nests' lol. Also I cant tell if those eggs are alive or not [​IMG] I think they are but...

10. giasmom

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    If it was just for a little while, I bet they are still okay.Good luck .Let us know when they hatch.

Okay back to my original questions, Any one got any suggestions for me? Did I have my humidity to low? Is there anything I can do about it at this stage? Is it just because those eggs were a bit smaller than the rest of them? Anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by