Day 15, Incubator temp shot up to 113!

Artemis1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
Northwest Montana
What happened? I am on day 15, have 24 eggs in a new incubator. The temp has stayed between 99-100, maybe once or twice it was 98 or 101 but only shortly. At about 1-2 am, I was up taking my dogs out and looked at the temp, it was 99.6. Woke up this morning at 630 and the temp was 113. I have no idea how long.

I took the lid partly off and the temp quickly dropped to 101. Just put the lid back on thinking it would level out and 10 minutes later, it was at 105. What the heck is happening? Am I going to lose all of these chicks? I just candled a few days ago and all appeared to be viable and doing what they should. The temp in the house dropped to around 60 last night, so I am wondering if the thermostat kicked into high gear to compensate? This would really suck to lose them all since they appeared to be doing so well :(

What happened? I am on day 15, have 24 eggs in a new incubator. The temp has stayed between 99-100, maybe once or twice it was 98 or 101 but only shortly. At about 1-2 am, I was up taking my dogs out and looked at the temp, it was 99.6. Woke up this morning at 630 and the temp was 113. I have no idea how long.

I took the lid partly off and the temp quickly dropped to 101. Just put the lid back on thinking it would level out and 10 minutes later, it was at 105. What the heck is happening? Am I going to lose all of these chicks? I just candled a few days ago and all appeared to be viable and doing what they should. The temp in the house dropped to around 60 last night, so I am wondering if the thermostat kicked into high gear to compensate? This would really suck to lose them all since they appeared to be doing so well
sad.png
Has the humidity dropped significantly. When the humidity start dropping the temp will start rising. Sometime it's just the bator acting up, (especially if you have a Little Giant as they are known to have spikes.)

Not really, it has been between 55-60%. It would have dropped a bit the other day when I was opening it to candle, but from what I could see, it was still between those values.

I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, I have 2 thermometers in there though and one read 111, the other 113. Should I add more water even though it is kind of early to do so? It is a Hovabator 1602N.

Gah! So, I had the lid off until the temp got to around 95, added water because it was at 19% after I put the lid back on ...now it is at 109. The humidity has gone up to 38% in 45 minutes, but that temp! Hopefully the humidity helps lower the temp soon.

Not really, it has been between 55-60%. It would have dropped a bit the other day when I was opening it to candle, but from what I could see, it was still between those values.

I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, I have 2 thermometers in there though and one read 111, the other 113. Should I add more water even though it is kind of early to do so? It is a Hovabator 1602N.
Have you been running 55-60% humidity from day 1? Have you checked your air cells? In my opinion that's high for the first 17 days. I definitely wouldn't add more water. Is the bator away from windows, sources of room heat and not under any lights/lamps? If there is nothing external causing the spikes, I would say your thermostat/heating element is off.

The humidity has been steady the whole time. I struggled with this thing for most of the day and finally just unplugged it and took it apart. Apparently my thermostat (wafer type) was like stuck or something. I reattached it and brought it back to 100. It has been there, steady again for the last few hours. I noticed when I was messing with it that the light wouldn't turn off, it was definitely the thermostat :-(

Now I just have to hope that I get at least a few out of the batch. What a bummer, but at least now I know.

Oh, and no. It is in a draft free, away from the windows place. I haven't looked at the cells today, but they were great when I checked a few days ago. I think that maybe the last time I adjusted it that something must have gotten off track. The wafer seemed to be threaded wrong.

Back
Top Bottom