Day 15 on duck eggs...have some ?'s (ATTN. MISS PRISSY!)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Dec 10, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have a total of 5 duck eggs and 4 goose eggs in my bator. It is now day 15. I was told to mist and cool the goose eggs daily, and since they're in the same bator, I have been misting and cooling the duck eggs too.

The goose eggs look like they aren't doing anything. There are 2 duck eggs that have quitters.

The other 3 duck eggs have gorgeous veining!! [​IMG]
    The present incubation practice is this:
    Still air bator, temp about 99-101 at even level of eggs, humidity usually about 70%, cooling for 15 minutes +/- daily, misting with room temp water at beginning of cool down session, turning 3-4 times daily.

My question is: Since the goose eggs have seemed to quit, do I still mist and cool the duck eggs? I was told they didn't need it, but since I've been doing it, should I keep doing it?

Thanks!! I don't want to mess these eggs up!

ETA: What humidity do they need for the hatch? I was told by the person who sent these that she's had better luck with hatching humidity around 55-60%?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  2. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    No one has any ideas?

3. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I mist my duck and goose eggs but do not cool them, on purpose anyway, i suppose they cool down when I turn them. If you want to quit cooling them it wont mess anything up.

4. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    what about misting chicken eggs? are you supposed to do that too?

5. CindyS

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    no, only waterfowl eggs, it simulates the duck or goose going for a swim and getting back on her eggs.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I mist duck eggs but I don't cool them.

Day 15 and your goose eggs are clear? Are you positive nothing is in there?

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I'm not positive, but there were two that looked like they had blood rings early on. One looks different than the others, kind of darker, but I can't find any veins at all. That one has some bubbles in the yolk/white area, so I'm thinking maybe it was scrambled, and that's why it looks darker. The other is completely clear. About the only things I can see in them is the yolk and the white, no veins or embryos or anything.

8. CindyS

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I would say the goose eggs are no good then. there should be a little dancing baby in there very easy to see at 15 days:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by