Day 16 & 17 and eggs are a rockin'!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken hawk3, Oct 27, 2014.

1. chicken hawk3

chicken hawk3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2014
    hi, first timer here!
    I have three eggs rocking....2 were set on 10/10 and 1 was set on 10/11. Here are my questions:
    Is it too early to rock?
    Should I lock down now?
    If I lockdown, do I only lockdown the ones rocking? (I have one that hasn't moved)
    If I lockdown, will moving them to my "hatching" incubator cause any issues? (I have another one set up and ready to go with correct temps/humidity for days 18-21, 99 degree temp, 65% humidity)
    What if I have one or two that hatch before the last one....how long can I keep them in the incubator before they'll need to come out? I'm concerned I'll have early hatchers!

Thanks and I can't wait to see these babies!!!!!

2. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    You can leave them in there until all are hatched. I just finished my first batch, and do to incubator design I had to pull each one out immediately (before they got stuck in the fan). Mine were fine, I had to make sure the brooder was heated up before pulling them out though. The main reason not to pull them out is so that the humidity doesn't drop, so I just did it real quick, and added water to the sponge each time.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  3. chicken hawk3

Mar 22, 2014
    Thank you!
    Should I lockdown now?
    Should I transfer them to a different incubator or just leave as is?
    Oh and one more question, LOL, how long til they hatch once they start rocking??

4. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Are these large fowl eggs or bantam? If they are large fowl, I would go ahead and wait until day 18 to put them in lockdown, unless you get an early pip.
    Moving them to your hatching incubator for lockdown should pose no problems. Just be sure to move them carefully of course.
    The time from seeing them rocking to hatching varies with each individual egg. Usually when you see them rocking around, it is the chick moving itself into the proper position for hatching. It could still take a while before they actually begin hatching.
    Good luck!

5. chicken hawk3

Mar 22, 2014
    Thank u! These are regular chicken eggs, no banties. [​IMG]
    The waiting is the worst! Lol
    Hatch already, hatch! Hahahaha

6. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    I know! The waiting is dreadful!