Day 16 and have found an egg out of nesting box, can I put it back in?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sadiew, May 15, 2011.

1. Sadiew

Sadiew Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Sorry if this has been asked before I have just joined and cant see the answer anywhere so far. I went to my coop today and Mother hen still sitting on her other 5 eggs but I discovered the 6th one in the run, I think she has come out for toilet and it had maybe stuck to her and fallen off in the run, it is not damaged at all but I do not know how long it has been out there for it could have been from yesterday when I left. Can I replace it or is it maybe too long? Thank you in advance. I am so excited Friday is the big day for hopefully my first chick [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  2. Chocobroc

Chocobroc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    I number all my eggs to keep track of them. One day I found egg #3 in a completely different nesting box. I wasn't sure if she kicked it out or if another hen stole it. I candled it to see and it looked viable (Then again, I'm no expert and this is my first hatch). So, I stuck it back under her. When I candled it two days later it looked different and I saw movement. It was equal in developement to all the other eggs. I'm at day 20 right now so we will see. None of her eggs smell and nothing has exploded.

So, I would candle it and see if you see anything. Then again, at day 16 it might be to hard to tell because the developement is so far along. I stopped candleing mine at day 16 because I could hardly see anything because it was so dark. Some mamas are really smart and kick out any duds. However, I have read about other chickens stealing eggs too.

I hope my blabbering helped somewhat...

3. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    I had that happen back in June of 2003. when i checked in the morning there were two setting hens and an egg beside them. It was the 10th day and I was going to throw the egg over the fence, but I stopped and nine days later, she's a bantam, A beautiful tiny chick hatched and I still have her. So I would defintely try to give the egg back to the hen.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  4. Sadiew

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Thank you both for your replies.

5. naughtyhens

naughtyhens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    San Francisco
    That happened to me last week. An egg was missing and I was afraid someone ate it, and then I found it at the other end of the run from the coop. It wasn't broken so I returned it to the broody and hoped for the best. I have heard of hens getting rid of eggs they can tell are bad, but if that's true, she can throw it out again. I would really hate to throw out a viable egg by mistake. Good luck!

6. Sadiew

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    I popped it back under her so will wait impatiently and see if any hatch on Friday, I hope I learn to be more patient, I never knew 21 days can go so slow [​IMG]

7. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    [​IMG] Welcome to BackYard Chickens SadieW! [​IMG]

Where exactly is the nest box, and how close to the run is it? If it's a possibility that it ROLLED
    to the point where it was found (Maybe thehen pushed it out) Then I would candle the egg.

Usually when a broody hen rolls an egg out of the clutch, there is somthing wrong with it.

You may want to candle the egg anyways and see if there is any movement. You don't want
    an explosive egg in the nest box. [​IMG]

8. Sadiew

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Thank you for the welcome, No it would not be possible for her to have rolled the egg out I really think it got stuck to her rear feathers and came out with her. I am new to all this and not very experienced and have candled the egg and def something in there but did not see movement, but think I need a better torch, I have popped it back under for now. Is it possible if the chick has died it will explode?

9. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Quote:I don't know about the exploding chick thing, but I have picked up a broody hen from her nest and a few seconds later an egg that had been stuck in her feathers popped out. [​IMG] Good luck, and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by