Day 16 - Are they gonna die? -

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tfpets, Mar 29, 2008.

1. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

Its day 16 in our incubators - my Mother in law is incubating 12 eggs that I ordered (I ordered way too many [​IMG] ) and she called this morning saying she can hear peeping inside some of our eggs?? Is this okay? She set them in the incubator on the same day as I set my own eggs - Friday, 3/14/08 - she set hers at 6:30 am, I set mine in my incubator at 11:30 am. She is turning hers by hand, and has hatched many exotic birds, but not chickens.

I dont want to open my own incubator unnecessarily, so I'm not going to mess with mine til I need to add water today, if I do, so I wont know if mine are peeping or not....

Is it too early for the chicks to be peeping and still survive?

I was not planning on hatching my own eggs in the incubator they are in - on Monday, 3/31/08, Day 18, I was going to move them to a hatching incubator - with a higher temp and humidity - Will this still be safe? HELP?? Any suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I say go on with plans as usual. Are you sure you heard peeping? Sounds way too early, but you never know.

3. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

Oh yes, she heard peeping in several of them, for sure. I havent heard from her since then, so no updates, but I appreciate your response! (She lives in Sacramento) I feel sad for them, but we'll wait and see. The eggs in my incubator are still developing on target, I think, no peeping here yet, but we're still on schedule! Thanks! Tina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by