Day 16 candle, is this normal?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhens44, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Today I decided Id candle because I have not done that in a while and what I saw was pretty much nothing!???? [​IMG] the bottom was all dark and the wider part of the egg, was light?

is that normal?

2. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:On day 16 inside the egg should be all dark, apart from the air sac.. But you should be able to still see some veins.. Does your eggs have any veins ?? if so all sounds to be going great.

3. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Quote:On day 16 inside the egg should be all dark, apart from the air sac.. But you should be able to still see some veins.. Does your eggs have any veins ?? if so all sounds to be going great.

yeah I saw 2 i think and they were small, right before the air sack i saw the veins. above the dark but before the air sack

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  4. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England

yeah I saw 2 i think and they were small, right before the air sack i saw the veins. above the dark but before the air sack

As long as you have veining you have chicks [​IMG] Good luck with your hatch [​IMG]

5. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    yay [​IMG]

6. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:I am on day 17 [​IMG] I have SL Polish in the bator... I am going to candle later, to make easier lock down tomorrow, so I am a little excited [​IMG] [​IMG]

What do you have in your bator??

We could be hatch buddies [​IMG] [​IMG] If you like? [​IMG]

7. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Ok [​IMG]

well I have 1 egg in the bator (long story)

1 silver laced cochin

[​IMG] Yay ill be your hatch buddy [​IMG]

8. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:Yay I only have 6...

Your chickie sounds to be doing well [​IMG] for your little one...

I am candeling later on tonight, so I will let you know how it goes....

And then hopefully monday and tuesday we will be sharing pictures of cute little fuzzy butts [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you need some advice dont hesitate to ask, I am no expert but we could help each other through this nail biting time [​IMG]

9. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Well I cadled really quick again because I was not positive on the Vains and this time I diddent see anything beside the air sack! [​IMG] I moves the egg side ways ( and I saw something in the middle moving, why I rotated it) but no vains this time.

The light has a perfec air sack line were the air sack meets the dark, but for the life of me i couldent see vains [​IMG]:

10. msDeP

msDeP New Egg

Jan 16, 2011
    I am new to hatching and keeping chickens for that matter. I have been incubating my own americauna eggs "practicing" as i have ordered fertile blue americauna eggs. I have had one successful hatch but would have had two but the humidity dropped to 40% in the night and the chick died after zipping. I was very upset. I have since remedied that. My question is I have two eggs due to hatch today. One of them has been wiggling for 24 hours but has not pipped. Should I be concerned, will the chick need oxygen soon? And when should I become concerned if it hasn't pipped?

Also the chick I have hatched is 4 days old. If I get chicks today or tomorrow should I separate them until they are on their feet and eating and drinking. I am afraid the older chick may peck at the newborns. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by