1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 16--I Hope the Air Cell is Big Enough

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicksgalore, Mar 20, 2009.

1. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    I just candled and all I could see was clear in the big end of the egg and then the whole rest of the egg was dark. The line between clear and dark seemed very straight and distinct. For five more days to go, I just hope the air cell is large enough. I've been searching for pics of candling around Day 16. Anyone know where I can find some?

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
  3. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Thanks, the movie wouldn't come on but I did see the pictures and you can actually sorta see the shape of the chick in those. Why are mine just a solid black mass except for the air sac? I couldn't see any blood vessels either but I haven't been able to see those at all throughout this process. When I candled around Day 12, I thought I saw some movement in one but I definitely didn't see any last night.

I so much want to get this right--I haven't had very big success rates before and we will be so disappointed if nothing happens next week...

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Hi, don't be too worried. I've never seen movement in an egg, but I've hatched a bunch of them. I think my candling lights just haven't been bright enough to see the movement, my vision isn't great, either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by