DAY 16 incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by harmony farm, Oct 2, 2016.

1. harmony farm

harmony farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    Victoria australia
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I believe they looking good 8 out of 15 look like this, I guess my I few questions
    1: what is your opinion
    2: does lock down humidity if to low or to low make much of a difference
    3: what humidity would you recommend ( I understand many different humidity settings works for different people and there incubations, But what info you provide will surely help me succeed.

Thanks All
    Chris

2. JChicken77

JChicken77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    1: They are looking good, that egg is filling up [​IMG]
    2: The humidity in lockdown does make a difference, if it is too low the membrane will get hard and it can make it impossible for the chick to hatch. If the humidity is too high the chicks could drown from too much moisture.
    3: Some people like to stay around 65% humidity while others say more like 75%
    I personally try to stay about 65-70% but that is my opinion, I understand others may choose differently and that is fine.

3. harmony farm

Apr 24, 2016
    Victoria australia
    Thx jchicken77

This is my second attempt with no chicks as yet, so fingers crossed.

Thx chris

4. JChicken77

JChicken77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    No problem [​IMG]

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

I agree with one exception. Chicks drown from high humidity over the first 17 days of incubation because the high humidity does not allow the egg to loose enough moisture and that extra moisture (already inside) is what drowns the chicks come time to hatch. (I run about 30% during the first 17 days for standard eggs and monitor my air cells.)

I aim for 75% humidity at hatch because I am "hands on" and I open my bator frequently during hatch so to keep my humidity from dropping too low and allowing dry air to dry out exposed membranes and prevent the chick from progressing. I don't worry about my humidity going too high during hatch as long as there is no condensation inside the bator/on the windows. You don't want that much moisture in the air. The higher the humidity, the slower the chicks will dry out and fluff up if you leave them in the incubator. If you are hands off or only open in case of emergency 65% is fine. I've seen people regularly hatch at 60%. I am much more comfortable with at least 70% I have spikes up to 90+ during the process, but it never stays that high for long, cause like I said I am hands on. I remove shells, roll over pipped eggs that have gotten rolled, and pull my chicks out to go to the brooder.

6. JoshFig

JoshFig Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2015
    Eggs look great. What humidity have you had them at for the first 16 days? Usually try to keep them between 45% and 50% for the first 17 days and then bump to ~65% for lockdown. I've heard the difference in humidity at lockdown is as important as absolute humidity.

I'd probably try to bump it by 10% to 20% while keeping it between 60% and 70% (if your going in humidity allows for that).

7. harmony farm

Apr 24, 2016
    Victoria australia
    Hi

I had my humidity around between 40 and around 48 for 18days, on lock down i will aim for between 65 and 70. Thx for advice everyone fingers crossed.

I will keep you updated, they come out of turn later today so due saturday , i am so hoping of success.

Thx again

Chris

8. harmony farm

Apr 24, 2016
    Victoria australia
    Quick question pls, im on lick down , i have three humidity testers, all with different reading , ones 85, one is 55 and machine is 65. Best way to check anyone !:/

Thx chris , rapid response woukd be awesome

9. JoshFig

JoshFig Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2015
    you should be fine - if the eggs are healthy then they will be fine if you are in that range (55% to 65%). I'd assume the 85% is an outlier.

So is tomorrow day 21? Post an update when you get there - you may hear chirping from the eggs in the AM before they crack the shells.

10. harmony farm

Apr 24, 2016
    Victoria australia
    Hi

Thx for replying , 5pm today will be day 19 , i just dont want to lose them again, as
    Last time i lost 6 , the heat was out last time by 2 degrees but fixed that (i think lol)

So fustrating lol

Thx chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by