Day 16 nearly over and there is peeping going on

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RoosterDon, Jan 8, 2015.

1. RoosterDon

RoosterDon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2014
    Austin Texas
    So how early is too early for there to be chirping, or is there a too early? In my last batch I had an egg hatch early and the chick seemed fine then died for no aparent reason, I could only assume that it hatched too early. (Maybe from temperature or humididty?)

Can eggs hatch too early?

I know peeping is not an indication of pipping zipping and hatching, I am just really hyper watching this batch of eggs with my new humidity and temperature gauge. I have kept track of weight loss and have been within the 13-16% range consistently, so I don't see that there should be any issues.

I was just really surprised to hear multiple eggs with peeping going on. It is very exciting.

I am kind of assuming that mother nature is doing her thing, except humanly constructed incubators are not exactly mother nature.....

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If we are talking chicken eggs, (especially if they are standard not bantam) 16 days is early. It would suggest that average temps are too high during incubation and speeding the development rate of the chick. And while that may sound like a win- win, like most things in life if you hurry through them they don't get done right or to their full potential and the chances of problems with birds are increased.
    A peeping chick is a sign that the chick has made an internal pip. If you figure the external pip would proceed with in 24 hours that puts it pipping through by 17 days and with another 24 hours zipping it's way into the world at day 18.
    While 21 days is an average and some chicks are early while other's are later, the farther from that average, I believe, the higher probability for health problems. A day either way is totally normally when you start talking 3 days, especially early, I'd be concerned. Hopefully they will be healthy happy chicks, but either way I would double check the thermometer and next hatch maybe run it a degree or two cooler if they arrive before day 19. Good luck!

3. RoosterDon

Jul 19, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Yes to them being chicken eggs, and I have a variety of them, so not sure which ones are peeping.

I was concerned as well. The temp has been consistent at 99.6 the entire time. No different then previous hatches. So, this kind of has me stumped.

I am going to double check which incubator is experiencing the peeps. I have the Brinsea Octagon and the Brinsea Mini.

The Mini we have used over and over with great hatching results. The Octagon I had a terrible first hatch rate (2 out of 24) but all but one of the non hatched were clear so most likely just not fertile. This batch I got from a different breeder.

I will message what I find out.

Thank you for this answer. I agree with you that the ones peeping now are too early. (like my last early hatch that died on me two days later).

4. RoosterDon

Jul 19, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Dang. I just got home and one has hatched in the Octagon. There is one egg in the Mini that has a peeper too.

Well, I will just cross my fingers and see how this plays out.

WAIT - I checked my weighing sheet and I actually started them on the 20th of December making this day 19. SO I AM RIGHT ON SCHEDULE!!!!!!! Well, close enough to it. I put them in at 6:00pm on the 20th, so this first hatch was technically very early on the 20th day. I guess that is on the edge but just fine.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Yay!!!!! That's much better!!! My last hatch a good share of them started pipping on day 19, though none broke out until day 20....lol Most of them hatched on 20 with a few, (all 3 of the NNs) scrambling out early day 21. Congrats on your hatchlings!!! Keep 'em coming!

6. Rooster Don

Rooster Don Out Of The Brooder

Thanks. Is it normal for the humidity to spike after a hatch? I went from 54% to 66% right away. I took out some water and the humidity dropped down to 48. I have never tracked humidity like this.

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Not only is it normal, but it's good. Your humidity at hatch should be at LEAST 65% I shoot for 75%

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  8. Rooster Don

Rooster Don Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for this reminder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by