Day 16 On Contourix Quail Eggs, I GOT PIPS!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jenlyn9483, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have 12 Contourix Quail eggs in the bator, this will be my second hatch of eggs with this bator, I have never owned quail or hatched any eggs and have no experience at all, these eggs sort of fell in my lap so I a have been gathering knowledge while i wait for them to hatch. I love to learn new things and have new experiences, so I was happy to take them. Now they are pipping! YAY! now I know i can hatch Chickens AND quail, Yippee! We will find out at the end of the month if i can also hatch Pheaseant and ducks too. I have 3 each of those eggs in the bator now.

2. Jenlyn9483

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    10 out of 12 pipped, all 12 alive and peeping and scratching in shell, Yay!

3. Jenlyn9483

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    My quail finally Started coming out at 930 pm last night and 4 hatched in an hour...number 5 hatched out during the night and i watched number 6 come out at 630 this am. Number 7 and 8 are not far behind. The two that arent pipped yet are not making any noises anymore..oh well if i get 10 out of 12 from shipped ebay eggs I will be very pleased with that....10 seems to be the magic number for a hatch for my bator anyway;)

Any advice from anyone would be VERY helpful, this is my first quail experience and im learning as I go, from internet and you guys!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  4. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    nice hatch!

5. Jenlyn9483

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Number 7 just hatched...two of the eggs that had pipped died..one was a perfect little guy dont know what happened to him..just sort of gave up I guess or wasnt strong enough..so sad when that happends...The other one STANK, not to much investigation on that one..Just know, he dead, he stank..LOL oh well number 8 is in the process of hatching now..The two that have not pipped have not done anything...This may bring my hatch down to 8.

6. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    nice [​IMG]

7. naveed

naveed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2007
    Congrats

8. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    YAY! *gives high five* you're doing great!!! Only advice I can give ya now is keep them in teh bator unti they're fluffy, have the brooder already warm for them when ya put em in, grind up their game bird feed (nonmedicated), and water with marbles (or as i ahve found handy, animal stuffing- clean ofcourse works great--they walk on it wthout getting soaked) in the water...and snuggle snuggle snuggle! they're such friendly lil guys!!!!

I dont know what kinda info you're looking for buuut to give you abit more

they are pretty much fully feathered at 4 weeks old, and are full grown and laying eggs at about 6 weeks old.

My chicks however friendly, will latch on to eachothers body parts and not let go!!!! Not to be "breedist" (as i love the breed im going to use as an example) but tehy latch on to the other chick like a pit bull latched on to a bull. I have litterally had to pick up two chicks that were attached to eachother (beak to leg, or beak to down, or beak to beak...). No blood or anything and no crazed pecking of eachother they just kinda are like "ooo....a leg *CHOMP!" LOL!....theni hear squealing and i have to braek up the chick fight...lol!!

Niki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by