1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 16 Quitter or no? Advice?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by applesweets, May 20, 2011.

1. applesweets

applesweets Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    This is my first time incubating eggs. It has been an exciting time watching the peeps kicking away and squirming around. As of yesterday however, one egg seemed much less active than the other two, in fact, I wasn't even sure if there was movement at all. Today the air pocket was no longer stationary as I rolled the egg during candling and There was what looked like blood clots sitting on the bottom of the egg and no movement could be detected. I am sure it is a quitter, but with my inexperience, I wanted to be sure I am not throwing out a good egg in ignorance. Also, I would like to do a breakout if it is indeed dead and observe it, but will it smell bad? How long until it starts to smell? It was alive 48 hrs ago for sure.

2. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    [​IMG]
    Hi,
    Sounds like it is a quitter BUT I would give it until day 18 before you throw it out.
    Candle your eggs one more time on day 18, the eggs with be mostly filled with chicks by then and be very dark when you candle.
    If that egg is indeed a quitter it will be very apparent compared to the others.
    If it's not smelling now I doubt it will blow up on you between now and day 18.
    Carolyn

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. gameboygal12

gameboygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    I thought my egg was dead too. It hasn't moved or piped or anything yet on day 21. until I candled it, It's still alive!! It's just probably too comfortable to leave it's little egg home just yet! [​IMG]

4. applesweets

May 20, 2011
    Is it safe to keep it in after lockdown? If it is dead, it has been no more than two days. How long until I risk it exploding? Lockdown is tonight at 6pm. Or do I lockdown at the end of day 18?

5. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Quote:Lockdown on day 18 at the same time that you originally set the eggs or the nearest time convenient to you. I don't think it will explode so soon. If you're unsure, go ahead and leave it in.

And [​IMG]

(Edited for clarity) [​IMG]

6. applesweets

May 20, 2011
    Thank you so much for the advice and info [​IMG] Unfortunately, it was definitely a quitter and the egg was starting to smell, although not badly yet, but it definitely had a distinct odour and there was blood pooling in the bottom and no longer any visable blood vessels at all. We did a break out and there was a well developed (but dead [​IMG] ) chickypoo inside. We had a little burial for it and now the two good eggs (which are still alive and kicking...literally) have been put into lockdown. Crossing fingers for a healthy hatch!! [​IMG]

7. applesweets

May 20, 2011
    OH yes, and thank you very much for the warm welcome [​IMG]

8. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Much less movement? If there is movement leave it in place, when you candle next you can check on it again.
    We have a couple dozen in the bator, two of which we will have another look at just before lockdown on the 18th for the same reason. Good luck with your hatch.

9. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Quote:So sorry. [​IMG] Yes, if it smelled bad, you were right to take it out.

Good luck with the rest of your hatch!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by