Day 17: An egg smells foul, what to do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Matt98, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Matt98

Matt98 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    My buff orp started off with seven eggs on day 1, day 17 now she is left with 3 and I'm getting pretty anxious (like a case of sympathetic pregnancy haha)[​IMG] One of the eggs smells a little foul, so it may just be rotten on the inside. Candling will just not work no matter what I try do, so I gave up trying that a few days ago. I'm nervous it might explode and damage the two other eggs. Should I remove it? Or just leave it there and hope (day and night lol) it hatches? I wouldn't even mind if it turned out to be a roo I want chicks so bad [​IMG]

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
  3. Matt98

Jul 25, 2014
    Bad news :( 2 of the eggs were duds........the one with the foul smell was full of green/yellow sludge :/ #ew
    I so hope that last little one comes through. It floated to the top with a little over the surface, "low floater" at least there's a chance! (please please please please please please hatch)
    Thanks for turning me on to it, at least it has a higher change of survival now, if there is anything to survive :)

4. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Good luck! [​IMG] I hope that last one hatches for you two!

5. Flutterbee

Flutterbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Virginia
    I'll be rooting for your egg! My hen is sitting on thirteen and when I candled two the water way in a cup, they sunk :/ I really am hoping for at least one chick. We're on day sixteen (I think).

6. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I'd love to see pictures of your guys' hatches [​IMG] I'm a sucker for all things adorable haha

1 person likes this.
  7. Matt98

Jul 25, 2014
    That is some pretty bad luck, hopefully you'll get at least one or to out of it
    Its a terrible feeling that nothing might hatch :( I especially don't want it for the hen after minding them for so long

8. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    If it doesn't hatch don't beat yourself up. We had two unsuccessful attempts before we had two hatch. I was so paranoid about a third mishap that I only put two eggs under each hen and in turn each hen ended up with one. One egg was empty and another shattered on day 18 right before they hatched. (ours hatched on day 19)

9. Matt98

Jul 25, 2014
    You were really unlucky it broke a day early :( sorry to hear about that
    I know but still, can't help but feeling a little responsible

10. ApiaryandAviary

ApiaryandAviary Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    When did you float it in water? I would never drown a baby in the shell just to see if it is any good when you thought it might be goid. The float test is when you thinknit is bad and will rake that chance. If you think it is good never float it. That is what I was told when I was a kid and my Uncle and Aunt had a chicken farm. I would ask my hubby bc his grandparents had a chicken farm but he is not here right now. The float is a last ditch effort test for when you think it is a dud. They can actually drown in the shell. Did you know that?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by