Day 17: An egg smells foul, what to do?

Matt98

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 25, 2014
My buff orp started off with seven eggs on day 1, day 17 now she is left with 3 and I'm getting pretty anxious (like a case of sympathetic pregnancy haha)
hmm.png
One of the eggs smells a little foul, so it may just be rotten on the inside. Candling will just not work no matter what I try do, so I gave up trying that a few days ago. I'm nervous it might explode and damage the two other eggs. Should I remove it? Or just leave it there and hope (day and night lol) it hatches? I wouldn't even mind if it turned out to be a roo I want chicks so bad
tongue.png

Bad news :( 2 of the eggs were duds........the one with the foul smell was full of green/yellow sludge :/ #ew
I so hope that last little one comes through. It floated to the top with a little over the surface, "low floater" at least there's a chance! (please please please please please please hatch)
Thanks for turning me on to it, at least it has a higher change of survival now, if there is anything to survive :)

I'll be rooting for your egg! My hen is sitting on thirteen and when I candled two the water way in a cup, they sunk :/ I really am hoping for at least one chick. We're on day sixteen (I think).

That is some pretty bad luck, hopefully you'll get at least one or to out of it
Its a terrible feeling that nothing might hatch :( I especially don't want it for the hen after minding them for so long

If it doesn't hatch don't beat yourself up. We had two unsuccessful attempts before we had two hatch. I was so paranoid about a third mishap that I only put two eggs under each hen and in turn each hen ended up with one. One egg was empty and another shattered on day 18 right before they hatched. (ours hatched on day 19)

You were really unlucky it broke a day early :( sorry to hear about that
I know but still, can't help but feeling a little responsible

When did you float it in water? I would never drown a baby in the shell just to see if it is any good when you thought it might be goid. The float test is when you thinknit is bad and will rake that chance. If you think it is good never float it. That is what I was told when I was a kid and my Uncle and Aunt had a chicken farm. I would ask my hubby bc his grandparents had a chicken farm but he is not here right now. The float is a last ditch effort test for when you think it is a dud. They can actually drown in the shell. Did you know that?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom