Day 17 and I dropped an egg - what are their chances?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Must Be Losing It, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    So day 17 I dropped an egg about 6 inches while removing the turner onto a hard wood floor- what a dufus I am.

Yes the egg cracked in a few places, and yes gooey clear stuff came out and yes egg shell pieces came off. So I crossed my fingers and put the egg back in the incubator w/ the others.

Has anyone had this happen and have the chick hatch?

I'm so mad at myself.

[​IMG]

2. OzarkCountryGirl

OzarkCountryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    I've not dropped one yet (but the time will probably come, knowing me). I would put a piece of tape on the places where the shell is missing and the stuff is oozing out...probably a bad idea though.

3. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    I heard putting candle wax or tape on the cracks will help but if it is oozing I would say that is a very bad sign.

4. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    I dropped a flashlight on an egg while candling it on day 18. It put a big dent in the side but the chick hatched out just fine. I wouldn't give up yet.

Richard

5. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I've left it in the incubator and will wait a day or so to see, I don't have a good feeling though.

Wish me luck.

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Take some melted beeswax or candle wax and drip it onto the crack. I saw one of my sebright eggs had a crack so I put some beeswax and melted it on, and the egg is developing fine. [​IMG] Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by