Day 17 and I dropped an egg - what are their chances?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Must Be Losing It, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    So day 17 I dropped an egg about 6 inches while removing the turner onto a hard wood floor- what a dufus I am.

Yes the egg cracked in a few places, and yes gooey clear stuff came out and yes egg shell pieces came off. So I crossed my fingers and put the egg back in the incubator w/ the others.

Has anyone had this happen and have the chick hatch?

I'm so mad at myself.

2. OzarkCountryGirl

OzarkCountryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    I've not dropped one yet (but the time will probably come, knowing me). I would put a piece of tape on the places where the shell is missing and the stuff is oozing out...probably a bad idea though.
  3. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    I heard putting candle wax or tape on the cracks will help but if it is oozing I would say that is a very bad sign.
  4. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    I dropped a flashlight on an egg while candling it on day 18. It put a big dent in the side but the chick hatched out just fine. I wouldn't give up yet.

5. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I've left it in the incubator and will wait a day or so to see, I don't have a good feeling though.

Wish me luck.
  6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Take some melted beeswax or candle wax and drip it onto the crack. I saw one of my sebright eggs had a crack so I put some beeswax and melted it on, and the egg is developing fine. [​IMG] Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by