day 17......... candled

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DixieChickie, Jul 27, 2011.

1. DixieChickie

DixieChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    Every morning I rotate eggs around in the bator...I have a small little keychain light, that as I'm moving them around I do a quick check. I don't even take them out of the cartons. I just shine the light through the top, really quick...I don't look for the chick just veining.

Typically goes like this...veins...veins....aww thanks for moving lil one....veins....veins...woo ur getting big...etc etc.

I have one due for lockdown tomorrow...this morning I did my rotation and quick check, well got ro that one and saw no veins. Took it out for a closer inspection and with a stronger light I see veins...light veins, but they are there. But I didn't see the chick move? Is this normal for a 17 day incubation age? My son has been stuck inside with mono....hes been so excited about getting to watch the chicks hatcy....needless to say hes been a bit bored. Lol

2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

On day 17, most of the egg should be solid dark. You might see some veins near the air cell where light can get in. You might or might not see the chick moving...it's up to the chick. But absolutely by Day 17, the majority of the egg should be too dark for the light to penetrate. Does that sound like your egg?

3. DixieChickie

DixieChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    Yes and no...if I shine the light straight through the top then, yes, the egg looks dark, with the air cell and a space of light (I can see veins in that area, small ones) then there's the dark mass of the chick. However if I shine thelight up through the bottom...its clear-ish. I can also see what I'm guessing is the yolk, it has some veins around it as well. Its like the chick is curled in the circumference, along the sides of the egg...not top to bottom. Yesterday chick was moving all around, but no movement today.

. Temp has been stable,

. I have 2 eggs that are 2 days behind this one, they look great chicks seem to be positioned top to bottom, and just about the entire egg is dark already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by