Day 17 corturnix eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

worldling

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
206
1
99
Good luck with the hatch and please keep us posted!
smile.png
 

aprophet

Songster
10 Years
Jan 12, 2010
3,798
43
239
chesapeake Va.
I think its gonna turn out like the one you just did, it is just a bad time of the year to be shipping eggs .it is just starting to warm up here a little bit I am on the coast in Va. day 18 this evening temp and humidity have been good the whole hatch till the last coupla days it has been a chalange keeping the humidity up
 

Quail_Cottage

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 6, 2010
71
0
97
SF Peninsula
yeah,

i've got 3 hatched and one more pipped, one more rocking. 7 still doing nothing but being rolled around by the hatchlings.
lau.gif


Go chickies Go!
 

aprophet

Songster
10 Years
Jan 12, 2010
3,798
43
239
chesapeake Va.
the white may be a golden there are 2 pipped and 3 jumping around and the 2 little brats playing football with the rest LOL
 

worldling

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
206
1
99
Congratulations!
Like I was telling Quail_Cottage, don't give up to soon. Coturnix can really surprise you sometimes.
I wait 22 days before I give up.
When you get a chance throw up some pics and someone on this board can tell you what colors the chicks will be.
smile.png
 

Schroeder

Songster
11 Years
Nov 9, 2008
578
37
184
Central Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Quote:
So what if you have some hatch on day 17? Is it okay to open up the bator (during lockdown) at say, day 20 to remove the hatchlings and then close it back up to wait on the slow hatchers?
 

jenjscott

Mosquito Beach Poultry
11 Years
May 24, 2008
3,701
43
256
Southeast Arkansas
You have to take them out before that, quail can't go as long without food and water as chicks can. I take mine out at least every 24 hours.
 

worldling

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
206
1
99
Quote:
So what if you have some hatch on day 17? Is it okay to open up the bator (during lockdown) at say, day 20 to remove the hatchlings and then close it back up to wait on the slow hatchers?

That's a matter of opinion. I try to only break lock down for the good of the hatch. I have never had 1 or a few hatch on day 17 but if I did. I would break LD and secure dry hatched chicks to my brooder. They are a bird in the hand, so life or death decisions go to the live chicks.
I hope you are not confusing early hatched chicks in a bator with letting the late bloomers ride. I would never...ever let a coturnix chick sit in a bator for 3 days.

It is absolutely ok to break lock down to secure live chicks. Some people overreact and want to break the chicks out, but that is another story.

Yes, it is ok to open the bator to secure live dry chicks. Just don't grab them out one at a time when they hatch.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom