Day 17... do these look about right?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ki4got, Oct 17, 2011.

1. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    it's been years since i've incubated anything and i seem to remember seeing more chick at this point (less light in the shell)... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

these 2 are the same egg, first candled just from above, then setting on a flashlight with light above again...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

this one is a bantam egg, put in the same time. the pic from below didn't come out but looked a lot the same.
    [​IMG]

my EE are so dark i can't see anything. LOL

the dorking and EE were both shipped eggs, bantams local. dorkings arrived in great shape, all fertile, but i lost 2/3 within the last 7 days. they just quit on me. scattered thru the incubator, mixed between other breed/shipped/local so i know it wasn't incubator error, all turning on an auto turner with circulated air...

worried that i'll lose the last 7 dorkings going (of 21 shipped eggs) i've got 9/14 EE and 8/11 bantam, plus 9 more put in a week later that are 9/9 (bantam mutts started under a broody).

tho since i set the eggs, i did pick up a trio of dorkings too, so worst case i hatch everything they lay LOL. and hubby is even supportive of that! wonders never cease. ok got sidetracked... [​IMG]

post pics of yours at day 17? PLEASE?!?!?

2. Faerytalefarm

Faerytalefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    I have pics of my silkie eggs on day 17 and 18. Yours look very similar to mine on day 17.

3. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    They look about right to me. Mine looked darker, but that was day 18-20. there are alot of fourms you can find out info on. Are you positive they are day 17?

good luck [​IMG]

4. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    Quote:yup... ms OCD here, wrote everything down... incubator on and set more than a week before eggs went in (at 7:30 pm on Sept 30) [​IMG]

my hatcher's at full temp/humidity now, and has been for 2 days LOL they go in for lockdown tomorrow... so thanks for the info everyone. i'm not panicking as bad now, thinking they're slow growers or something.

5. Wolftalk

Aug 1, 2011
    It will all go fine! Slow growers or not, if they are alive they have to hatch (at least pip) sometime or later!!! [​IMG] Good luck!

6. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    Quote:yeah but i worry about too much humidity... if i put them in lockdown at 70%, and they're not ready?

if i delay lockdown until they've internally pipped, would i keep turning them?

7. reereechickens

reereechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Reidsville, NC
    Your eggs and photos look fine! It is truly amazing the last few days how much they will change! And they will!

8. Wolftalk

Aug 1, 2011
    Quote:yeah but i worry about too much humidity... if i put them in lockdown at 70%, and they're not ready?

i think the humidity will be fine. i wouldnt turn them anymore though becuase when i did, somehow the chick got all twisted up, and i had to hatch her by hand. im not sure that was the cuase, but you really arent supposed to turn eggs for the 3 days before they hatch anyway. Dont WORRY!!!! it will all work out. And dont forget to go to go to sleep!!!! i know it can be stressfull!!! i couldnt stop staring at that incubator! (in my case a cardboard box) but they will be FINE!!!!!

9. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA

i think the humidity will be fine. i wouldnt turn them anymore though becuase when i did, somehow the chick got all twisted up, and i had to hatch her by hand. im not sure that was the cuase, but you really arent supposed to turn eggs for the 3 days before they hatch anyway. Dont WORRY!!!! it will all work out. And dont forget to go to go to sleep!!!! i know it can be stressfull!!! i couldnt stop staring at that incubator! (in my case a cardboard box) but they will be FINE!!!!!

hubby would be on my butt big time if i tried to stand there and watch... and there are no chairs in that room, basically storage shelves full of stuff we haven't looked at in years... [​IMG] so at least i'm not tempted to stand there and watch... but if i can find my webcam i might hook that up in the next day or so. then i can watch while i work...

HEY! my netbook has a built in webcam... hm... i wonder. [​IMG]

10. Wolftalk

Aug 1, 2011
    Quote:i think the humidity will be fine. i wouldnt turn them anymore though becuase when i did, somehow the chick got all twisted up, and i had to hatch her by hand. im not sure that was the cuase, but you really arent supposed to turn eggs for the 3 days before they hatch anyway. Dont WORRY!!!! it will all work out. And dont forget to go to go to sleep!!!! i know it can be stressfull!!! i couldnt stop staring at that incubator! (in my case a cardboard box) but they will be FINE!!!!!

hubby would be on my butt big time if i tried to stand there and watch... and there are no chairs in that room, basically storage shelves full of stuff we haven't looked at in years... [​IMG] so at least i'm not tempted to stand there and watch... but if i can find my webcam i might hook that up in the next day or so. then i can watch while i work...

HEY! my netbook has a built in webcam... hm... i wonder. [​IMG]

AH HA moment! Good idea! Be sue to post pics when they hatch! bet theyll be so darn cute!!!! have you seen them wiggle yet???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by