Day 17, getting excited, first time hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by donjr721, Nov 8, 2010.

1. donjr721

donjr721 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    it is day 17 in my homemade incubator, temperature is good, humidity could be better 50%, i figure that's not bad considering a 20-25% ambient. still trying to get humidity up though. i put an aquarium air stone in one of my water jars to create bubbles, brought humidity up from 35% to 50%, i might put in a larger stone in my bigger water pan. the so called "lock down" day is tomorrow. i have 30 eggs in the incubator. i will post again friday to update how the hatch is going. i can't wait, similar feelings like waiting to go to hospital to see my children born, but definately not as major, nothing compares to that, we are just getting a little anxious. we have a yorkie that might be pregnant as well, that'll be fun too.

But what i am the most anxious for right now is my son to come home from afghanistan, he is a marine, due back in the U.S. November 28.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  2. Wegs813

Wegs813 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Wow...you have lots going on! Good luck with the eggs....my first hatched tonight on day 19 and I am waiting to see what the 18 others do.
    Tell your son thanks for his services when he returns...and thank you for being a military parent [​IMG]

3. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Good luck, hope it all goes according to plan

4. donjr721

Apr 1, 2010
    thank you both.

5. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    Is this fun I got a pep. [​IMG]

6. donjr721

Apr 1, 2010
    cool. tick tock, tick tock. can't wait. does anyone stare at their eggs in their incubator. i do. i'm always checking the temp, even calling home to check it while i'm at work. exciting stuff.

7. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Good luck on the hatching and hope that the time will go quickly for your son to come home.

8. donjr721

Apr 1, 2010
    thank you, we have four pips this evening, can't wait.

9. donjr721

Apr 1, 2010
    hatching today. have 9 so far. 10 more pipped, 11 still need to pi. this is awesome stuff. much more rewarding than buying an incubator. it's cool knowing you built something that can hatch eggs like that. it's our first time hatching. the chics are rhode island red, dominique, and comet crossed with rhode island red roo, dominique roo, and maybe a little auracana. mutts, but will be good egg layers, hope they are all pullets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by