Day 17 - incubator fell to 86 degrees last night

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DangerChickenHouse, Feb 25, 2012.

1. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    We turned the heat off in our house because the weather has been nice. We didn't think about it effecting the incubator. We woke up this morning to our house reading 60 degrees and our incubator reading 86.

Day 17........is there hope? The eggs felt cold.

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    It all depends where you have your incubator located. Our house is usually at 62* I have my bator in the closet so no drafts or anything can effect it. It might not effect your hatch it sol slow it so you may have to wait a day or so. Hens get off their nests and I'm sure the eggs cool also. Hang there I will be wishing you luck. Michele

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I use bubble wrap draped over the bator or a regular reading bulb over the bator, and adust the distance of the lamp to keep the temp steadier.

4. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    I think they will be fine. I had a duck that would accidentally push an egg out of her nest every once in a while. I went outside and found an egg out of the nest. It was cold, but still hatched.

5. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    We killed our first hatch on day 17 when the temp spiked to 106. It's crazy that we may have done the same with this hatch on day 17, but only because of a low temp.

We turned our house heat back on. The incubator is back at 99 and steady. Tomorrow is lock down. I guess time will tell. This is our second hatch and last. We rehomed our roo. :(

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    You should be fine it better to have a little low verses too high.

7. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Don't give up please!!! They may still do well for you..... Remember when the temps are a bit too low, it will be a slower hatch, meaning add a day or two....Life is a learning curve so please don't be too hard on yourself!! Keep us posted....Nancy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by