Day 17...no eggs a rockin'...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Jschaaff, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    So yes I'm overly anxious I know. Today is day 17 for my quail eggs...(I set them May 20th) and this time nobody is rocking, and I'm a little worried. We had a bit of a hard time regulating the temperature this time, sometimes it ran a little lower, at 98 or so, but most of the time is was at 99.5-100

...and then there was the temperature spike... NO idea still, what happened, but at day 14 the temp spiked to 117. They could have been as long as an hour at that temp...

..my tummy tells me that these babies probably did not survive the spike... I mean really, is that even possible? I had movement in 10 eggs that day before the temp spike, (candeling) and the past two days (I only candeled them again because of the temp spike, otherwise wouldn't be handling them so much)... nothing...

I'm going to keep them in the incubator the next few days regardless...but any opinions on if it's even possible they could still be alive.

Thank you in advance.
    -Jessa

*gently nudging JJMR794 over to his computer....* [​IMG]

2. kimandrich

kimandrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    Give them a couple more days. My temperature was pretty steady on my first hatch except for a drop to 74 for a couple of hours, and I still got 60% hatch rate, but they hatched at day 20.
    Good luck!

BTW, I also had a temperature spike up to 111 for 8 hours. As long as it's not over 24 hours, I heard it shouldn't make much of a difference.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  3. Jschaaff

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Oooh thank you. The fact that you've experienced a temp spike (and temp drop) and *still* had some hatch, gives me hope!! Fingers crossed over here.

-Jessa

4. kimandrich

Apr 9, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    Oh, I know! It was my first hatch and I was so nervous waiting. It was day 17 and I told my boyfriend that I wasn't going to even look at it because I was obsessing over it. On day 20, I wasn't even worried about it, I was just ready to get rid of the eggs and put some fresh ones in it. My boyfriend said wait until he gets home from work and we'll clean it out. After he left for work, I was sitting on the couch watching television and I heard some chirping. I jumped up and ran over to the incubator and there were 4 babies moving around!
    I tried to candle them before, but the Coturnix eggs are so dark, so I gave up on candling. I just had to wait, and wait and wait...haha. It was worth the wait!!

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Do wait a couple more days. I have also had a hatch, maybe not the best hatch, but still a hatch, with temp spikes. GOod LUCK!

6. Jschaaff

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    They are ebay eggs from a seller with poor packaging...3 broken, 12 non-fertile, and only 10 fertile eggs, out of 25 guaranteed fresh fertile eggs.... So my odds were not good at the start...we will see. (I did throw the 12 clear eggs in too...just in case...but alas...I was right...non fertile..still clear [​IMG])

Any hatch will be thrilling at this point!

Thank you QuailLadyofFortMyers [​IMG]

-Jessa

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Is this a still air incubator?

8. Jschaaff

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    yes it is. It is a Little Giant, Still air incubator. Cheap starter, but honestly, not something I could ever recommend to anyone. I am hoping to add a fan before I continue these ventures, and also find a room with a more consistent temp, as I think our bedroom fluctuating from 80 during the day, to 60 with the window open at night (incubator is no where near the window, but the room temp drops to 62 at night) has been the source of our temp fluctuation.

-Jessa

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Then you should be fine, with still air the temp doesn't circulate uniformly so some wouldn't be hit by the spike as other will. Just give them a couple more days [​IMG] There is still hope.

10. kimandrich

Apr 9, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    I have a still air, as well, and have had great hatches. I hope to add a fan to mine, but for now it's done good for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by