Day 17, one is already hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sweetlilbaby, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    I didn't plan to do lock down til tomorrow. I got up hearing an egg fall out of the tilted egg cartons. I tilt them back and forth to turn them. Anyway it has continued to hatch, I took the rest of the eggs out of the cartons as well and started lock down.
    This is exciting, but I hope it hatches okay, after 3 older chicks being killed yesterday I don't know if I could handle a chick dieing during or right after hatching.

2. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    It hatched, it's all black :D

3. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    [​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    Cute! My broody also hatched a black one today!
    Sorry to hear about your chicks dying [​IMG] Hope this little one is the start of good things.

5. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    I hope so too. I've had chicks hatch early before, but this is a new one for me. It came from a silkie/cochin egg. The guy that had them said that he has both types of hens and a silkie rooster. I'm use to RIRs, leghorn and other large breeds. This is the tiniest chick I've ever seen. it's so friendly too, being the only one so far i put a feather duster with it. The others aren't expected for a few days. this one I think was under a hen before I incubated it.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    That could be. Earliest I've ever had an egg hatch was 18 days. My MIL has bantams and I just love the chicks. They are so teeny tiny! like a puff of wind could blow them away.
    Enjoy your baby. Hope you get some buddies for it soon.

7. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    I hope some more start to hatch but I'm thinking they'll hatch around day 20-22. I was so worried when I noticed it pipped this morning so I couldn't get back to sleep. when it finally hatched and i saw it was fully formed I could finally relax. I was scared it was hatching to early and wasn't ready to hatch.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    One of my broodies hatched 8 chicks last week. A full 3 days early! Her hatching buddy hatched 2 so far today, exactly on time. As expected. I've learned to expect them when I see them.

9. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Always expect the unexpected right? It just was like everything happening at once. Last night 3 older chicks get killed, i get woke up at 5 am to a chick hatching early. The lightbulb in the incubator blew and I didn't have a new one. i put a warmer one in there to get it warmed back up. I now have several lightbulbs the right wattage. *sigh* My husband doesn't understand why all this was so upsetting. he was like just use a 40 watt bulb it's not that much brighter then a 25 watt. Um yeah how bright it is doesn't matter.

10. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    I love this chick but OMG it's so tiny. I've got to rethink the bowl for feeding it. It's way to small to get in the bowl to eat. Or if it got in it wouldn't be able to get back out.
    It's so cute i just wanna play with it. But I am scared i'll hurt it. I keep resting my hand near it for it to cuddle with me, and petting it's head.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: