1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 17, too late to candle?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Madison Farms, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Madison Farms

Madison Farms Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Escalon, Ca.
    My 2nd broody is on day 17, I last candled on day 8, should I candle one more time tonight? Or should the eggs be left alone at this point?

Help!

Our 1st broody, we had no clue,,, she disappeared (we thought coyote) then came back with babies!

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Either way is fine. I usually don't candle after day 14, but day 17 won't hurt them to take a quick look.

3. jthayerkatz

jthayerkatz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Holland, MA
    many people candle on day 17 or 18 when inc. to verify movement before lockdown so there is no reason that you should not.

4. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    I just hatched and had two bombs. I say if you know how...... CANDLE no matter what day it is....... There is nothing stinkier in the world than an exploding egg

5. Madison Farms

Madison Farms Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Escalon, Ca.
    thank you all for the advice, I went ahead and candled them last night and everyone looks good. I'm thinking, no bombs,,,, can you believe it. BUT I am new at this. Movement is the part that is hardest for me. Air sacs look good, I didnt see any blood rings. SO,,,, Hopefully all goes well. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by