1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 17

Discussion in 'Quail' started by dauflin, Feb 17, 2014.

1. dauflin

dauflin Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I am using a still air incubator. I am on day 17. This is my first time and starting to wonder if I did something wrong.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Have you been candling along the way? These are Coturnix quail? You should be in the lock down stage, not turning the eggs, and have your humidity up to around 65% or 70%. If your temp was a hair lower than it should have been during the entire cycle, the chicks develop a bit slower and can hatch late. Sometimes 3 or 4 days later than the expected date.

3. dauflin

Dec 31, 2012
    Oklahoma
    They are coturnix. I haven't been candling but did stop turning on day 14 and haven't opened the lid since then. Added some water on day 14 to try to keep humidity up. I've seen the heat up a little but not down. I am just a little anxious hoping I did everything right. I down have anything to tell me what the humidity is though.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You need a hydrometer. You can get those pretty cheap and put them in the incubator.

I hope your eggs hatch. At this point, all you can do is wait and see. If the hatch fails, you will need to make some changes on your next batch.

5. dauflin

Dec 31, 2012
    Oklahoma
    ok thanks. We will wait and see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by