1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 18/19 and they are pipping...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sara, Dec 19, 2007.

1. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Ahhh I am not prepared for this. I went to check the eggs this morning and they were already pipped. I hadn't even increased the humidity as i planned to do it this morning.
    i have 13 eggs ( 1 Araucana, 6 buff silkies, & 6 buff orps) It looks like 3 silkies and 2 buff orps have pipped! Yippy, so exciting! [​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Go chickies go!!

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Congrats Sara! How eggciting! Come on chickies..Sara needs some new friends in the house to keep her company. [​IMG]

Jody

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I'm nervous because the humidity is not coming up even though I added a wet sponge and a little bowl of water. I don't know what to do because I really don't want to open it again. I wasn't expecting any action until Friday at the earliest. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    With a wet sponge and water bowl, I would not worry..I'm sure your humidity is fine and the gauge is just not reading properly. Hang in there and keep it closed.

Jody

6. d_rooster

d_rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    North Augusta, SC
    Sara, did you heat the water before adding it to the incubator? If the water is room temperature or cooler when added it might take it a few minutes to start evaporating. If you have a vent hole in the incubator lid and some aquarium tubing and syringe lying around, you can use that to add water through the vent hole.

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Sara...please be carefull with a bowl of water in the bator. I have read several posts where a new chickie had fallen in and drowned. Use a warm wet wash cloth....worked great for mine. Good luck on the hatch!! I cant waite to see fuzzy butt chicks!

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    good luck!-karen

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:Yep, I used warm water.

Quote:That's a good point, I might quick take that container out. my dog put a hole in the bottom so I can't fill the water reservoir anymore. Apparently styrofoam tastes so good.

Jody~ Is that little Lester in your avatar? [​IMG] So cute!

10. sara

sara Title Needed Here

This morning there is one little buff silkie out and one buff orp almost there. Lots of pips, just not much progress. The little silkie is so tiny! So cute! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by