Day 18 and getting ready for lockdown!? Questions!

alli590

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2015
12 hours until day 18 of incubating my eggs! Which means almost time for lockdown! This is my first time incubating eggs, and all is going well, I can see the chicks moving when I candle, the movement has settled down though. Tomorrow is the last time I will candle and turn them. But I have questions, also any advise is welcome!!
1. What should I keep the humidity at while in lockdown as well as the temp? It's at 101f now, and humidity is from 40-55%
2. When should I see them pipping? So far no signs but it's only day 17 1/2
3. When will I start hearing them chirp through the egg?

I'm so impatient!! I just can't wait! Any other advise about the lock down?

99.5 is ideal
50 - 60%
Could see external pip as early as tomorrow but most likely closer to hatch day.
Some will pip then zip with in minutes and be out...
Others may take a day to completely Finish...
I never hear them but others do...
DO NOT OPEN THE HATCHER TO HELP A CHICK IT CAN SHRINK WRAP THE OTHERS...

99.5 is ideal
50 - 60%
Could see external pip as early as tomorrow but most likely closer to hatch day.
Some will pip then zip with in minutes and be out...
Others may take a day to completely Finish...
I never hear them but others do...
DO NOT OPEN THE HATCHER TO HELP A CHICK IT CAN SHRINK WRAP THE OTHERS...

I want to take out the chicks one by one when they dry off but will this cause the others to shrink wrap? It'll be very fast.
Also what about adding water during lock down to maintain a higher humidity? Is it ok to open incubator for a second?

Humidity should be at a least 65% for lockdown. Some people like higher and shoot for 75%. Either is fine. If you can't get it higher than what you have now add some wet sponges to your incubator. It's the surface area of water that creates the humidity and not the depth of water. Never have an uncovered pot of water in the incubator the chicks can drown very easily.

Are you using still air incubator with your temp being at 101f ? If so keep the temp the same but remember if you are taking your eggs out of a turner and laying them flat in the incubator measure the temp at the top of the eggs.

There is no definitive answer as to when you will see them pip. You may here peeping from the eggs any where from day 19. But you may not too it all depends when they are ready. When they internally pip into the air sac through the membrane they start to learn to breathe the air and you may hear peeping. When the co2 becomes high in the egg they will externally pip the shell of the egg to let oxygen in. It may only be a very small crack but that is enough for them so try not to panic if it's not a great big hole. Inbetween all these things the chick does a lot of resting and it can be upto 24 hours Inbetween internal external and zip hatch.

My top tip is to keep the incubator closed humidity up and don't mess with the eggs and let nature takes its course.

Good luck with your eggs :fl

I want to take out the chicks one by one when they dry off but will this cause the others to shrink wrap? It'll be very fast.
Also what about adding water during lock down to maintain a higher humidity? Is it ok to open incubator for a second?

Better to NOT open for any reason. I like to add really warm water after I load up the hatcher and then close it up with all the steam... The chicks will be fine and need the rest... I have left them in the hatcher for three days with no adverse reactions...

I too am a hands off hatcher and don't open the incubator for any reason after lockdown. If you can't keep the humidty up after lockdown and you really need to add water then yes go a head and add water. Can you use a straw or a syringe to get the water in through a vent hole? This is what I did with my original incubator to keep it high.

I also don't remove chicks untill hatch is complete they are quite alright to stay in.

12 hours until day 18 of incubating my eggs! Which means almost time for lockdown! This is my first time incubating eggs, and all is going well, I can see the chicks moving when I candle, the movement has settled down though. Tomorrow is the last time I will candle and turn them. But I have questions, also any advise is welcome!!
1. What should I keep the humidity at while in lockdown as well as the temp? It's at 101f now, and humidity is from 40-55%
2. When should I see them pipping? So far no signs but it's only day 17 1/2
3. When will I start hearing them chirp through the egg?

I'm so impatient!! I just can't wait! Any other advise about the lock down?
I, as usual, agree with Yorkshire on most everything. I will play devil's advocate though on one thing. I am one of those people who do NOT leave my chicks in the bator until the end of the hatch. I also do not worry too much about shrink wrapping other eggs as I keep my humidity 75%+ for hatch. I've assisted chicks before as well, which means opening the bator every hour or two during hatch to increase the chick's progress.
Everyone does things differently, it doesn't mean that anyone is wrong or right. Different things work for different people and different people have different comfort levels and one should go by what works for them and what their comfort level is. If you're not comfortable with how someone else does something than find your way of doing it. Some people will agree with you and some won't, that's the long and short of it. Sometimes you'll do something that will be the wrong thing or just not work. You take note and alter that action for the next time.

I'm a candle addict. A lot of people do not believe in candling the eggs frequently. A lot of people think it harms the eggs. Once I see growth I candle 3 or 4 different eggs every night to check for growth, to check my air cells and just to see that tiny life developing. (My last hatch was 13/16). I wash my hands before candling, I'm super gentle with the eggs and I don't keep them out an excess amount of time. It works for me.

Many people strive for 65% at lockdown. I strive for at least 75% This gives me plenty of room to adjust if I do need to open my bator. (It works for me.)

I do not assist with an chick unlessl I feel it is absolutely neccessary. (I understand that they need time to do their thing and letting things happen naturally is best.) But if I do feel it is necessary, I won't hesitate to help. I do not believe in NOT helping a chick in trouble. I do NOT believe that if they can't do it all by themselves then it wasn't ment to be. I assisted a malepositioned last hatch that would have never made it on her own. She is now a healthy 4 month old pullet. (And the object of lust for my roos.)

I don't open the bator UNNECCESSARILY after lockdown, but if I need to wet a sponge, (I use about three wet sponges in my bator at lockdown for humidity as well as filling my water wells. When I think it needs to be highered I just rewet the sponges.) I will crack it open pull out a sponge and wet it and replace. Once they start hatching the humidity usually jumps a bit naturally.

After they hatch- I like to wait until there is at least a couple or even 3 or 4 before I take the first ones out of my bator. They have to be warmed up and on their feet and active before I will pull them though. I prefer fluffing up to take place in the brooder. I also prefer them to have the ability to start eating if they wish. (Chicks CAN go 2-3 days w/o feed as they have the yolk to live off, but it doesn't take them long after being placed in a brooder w/food to start pecking.) I have my own reasons for why I don't leave them in the bator till the end, but the key is- it works for me.

Here's the thing with opening the incubator at hatch. When you open it, humidity escapes. Humidity is vital for chicks to hatch. If your humidity isn't high enough there is a CHANCE that the membranes can dry and shrink wrap the chicks that are in the process of hatching. Doesn't mean it will, doesn't mean it won't. The more times you open the higher that chance goes up. So, you have to weigh the risk with your comfort zone.

Listen and take in the advise of others, but don't feel guilty for doing something that works for you and the your chicks. Good luck on the hatch!

Back
Top Bottom