day 18 and humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PHarris985, Jun 18, 2011.

1. PHarris985

PHarris985 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Oregon
    [​IMG] If your not suppose to open the incubator after day 18 how do you add water to the incubator to keep the humidity up?

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    You can open it. I usually cut up a few sponges & add them on day 18 this helps hold higher humidity. Best advice is don't open it when they start hatching let them all hatch before you open it .

3. SlowMoneyFarm

SlowMoneyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Nauvoo
    Was browsing a former topic on humidity - which is now closed so can't ask there. Had an issue with quite a few eggs not hatching, referred to a trouble shooting that says low humidity is a factor. I don't have anything available but a cheap Acurite thermometer/hygrometer from TSC - but got one for next time. Then started looking for what it should be and read not over 50. Sitting here now it's between 40-50 for the last hour outside the brooder naturally. So how is that not enough humidity? [​IMG] Have some Sussex in due yesterday - nothing yet. Really looked forward to these chicks but nothing...the first batch nothing's happened since last weekend - so I don't know what to change, how to change it or what it should do

4. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a small piece of PVC pipe that runs from an outside hole to over a pan of water. Add hot water to the pan by pouring into the pipe. I'm shooting for 75 to 80% at lockdown. .........stan

5. PHarris985

Mar 16, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:That's a good idea. If this hatch doesn't turn out good I shall try it.

6. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    High humidity is usually more of a factor with chicks not hatching than low humidity. With high humidity they will drown before piping. Low humidity they will pip but cant get out because the membrane sticks to them. With high humidity also the membrane gets thick and rubbery and almost impossible for them to get out of.

Lanae

7. PHarris985

Mar 16, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Thank you for the great advise. I think next year I will invest a a better incubator.

8. SlowMoneyFarm

SlowMoneyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Nauvoo
    So what is considered "high humidity?" Some things say 50 while others are recommending 70% - very confusing. [​IMG]

9. LilMissPetie

LilMissPetie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Michigan
    I tried for 50-55% at lockdown and then increase to 65% at first pip. I've only hatched to batches, but got 7/8 with the first and 4/4 the second

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by