aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
This thread is more for catharsis than asking for advice.
Background:
-have done a half dozen pretty successful hatches, so not a rank newbie.
-tested thermometers and hygrometers prior to starting all hatches.
-temp was fine throughout this incubation, embryo size typical(the ones light shelled enough to see into clearly).
-I always candle every egg on days 7-14-18.
-I always endeavor to do a 'dry' incubation and go by air cell size.

This was a different incubator from previous hatches, a plastic sheathed sytro model (FI) as opposed to a bare sytrofoam(LG).
Think this FI might hold humidity better due to that sheathing.

An..y...way.

Just did day 18 candling and moved eggs into hatcher.
Air cells are varied in size from just about right to too small (according to the common air cell illustration).

Must have gone too dry the first 7 days, as some looked 'like day 14' on day 7 candling.
So upped humidity to 30-40% and they looked pretty good on day 14 but some too small so tried to lower humidity...moderate success.

Now on day 18 some look fine others are rather small....
.....kinda gonna be ****** if I do and ****** if I don't,
but going to leave no humidity for another 24 hours then up it to hatching level of 65-80%.

Further facts:
Incubation was done in the Farming Innovations incubator borrowed from the client.
Hatching will be done using the bottom of my Little Giant incubator(easier to clean) and the top of the FI(quieter fan).

So any insight or input from experienced hatchers?
Maybe I'm over-thinking it...can't really remember having such a disparity in air cell size before.

Now I've done it....
he.gif

too much water seems to have lowered the temp...I over-adjusted and woke up to a dry 103F...got it balanced back out.....only time will tell, late tomorrow is day 21.

Back
Top Bottom