Day 18! big THANK YOU Miss Prissy!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TerriLaChicks, May 7, 2008.

1. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    And everybody else too! this is my first time to try incubating. We built Miss Prissy's styrofoam incubator. I started with 18 standard blue cochin eggs from Ebay. They arrived w/each one embedded in its' own foam nest within a very thick piece of foam--not one was broken. I probably threw out some too soon among several other mistakes I made, however--

I'm down to six eggs and every one of them is alive & moving as of last night!

One was quiet when I candled it, & I called to it "chick-chick-chick' & the embryo inside started moving--that was such a special moment!

Now the wait for the magic begins....

I will try & post a pic of the six:

nope didn't work, but I'll figure it out by the time they arrive on Saturday!

Edit to say: home from work & trying this again:
    our homemade "Miss Prissy" incubator:
    [​IMG]

Ha! got it to work!

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    BTW, that was just some store bought sterile eggs I had in there to test the system. Not the real things; when I took this photo they had not gotten here yet.

anyway, thanks again to everyone for their great advice & the Search engine works great & is a lifesaver!!!

Now to go pace the floor & hover over the 'bator & wait....

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Cool! I want to make one of those 'bators...but now I'm leaning towards saving up for a Genesis...anyone want to buy artwork or eggs to support my habit? LOL

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Wooot!!! I love reading these success stories. Good luck on this hatch! I am tickled that you built a bator and are having great success! [​IMG]

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    my friend (hobobrando on byc) is making an incubator from missprissy's instructions. we will see how it goes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by