Day 18 candling

Mommy6

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 18, 2013
I candled my eggs for lockdown tonight and I was kind of expecting my eggs to look more uniform inside. I have some eggs with a whole lot of space inside and some with very little to none. Some with smaller air cells and some with larger air cells. Is this normal?

I have 4 different breeds, all bred by the same rooster. My birds lay various sized eggs, some rather large, would that make a difference or should the chick still fill the shell?

Everybody's an individual. Some eggs will develop faster than others, some will form an air cell at different rates. I've seen some drastically different eggs in the few hatches I've done, even from eggs that were roughly the same size, and they ended up hatching out just fine.

Thank you! I didn't realize they could vary so much.

I didn't take any pictures, but I wish I did. My leghorn shells are so easy to see inside, its been fun watching them... and those happen to be the ones I am most worried about. Will definitely post an update in a couple day!

27 of 34, plus 2 of the 7 remaining have recently pipped, so we may not be done yet! The eggs I was worried about having too much room hatched too

Back
Top Bottom