Day 18 close, egg carton or lay flat any sugg.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by brkuk, Jan 19, 2009.

1. brkuk

brkuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Howell, Mi
    I have a few days until day 18 and I was wondering If anyone could give me advice. If I should use an egg carton or lay them flat. If u did use the egg carton does it take away or add any humidity. Thanks for the help this is my first batch. Can't wait. 1 dozen mixed

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    well i like the carton , it make it easyer for the to find there way out of the egg, or at least it looks like it does. but any way will work. the humidty will stay about the same for you are going to bring it up anyhow, right?

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I have done it both ways and I like the carton. I like that the air cell is still up so they can pip. I also don't like to see the first hatched knocking all the other eggs around as it is staggering around.

Just personal preference i guess.

4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    If you used an egg carton, would you use the paper kind and do you cut a hole out of the bottom of the carton for each egg or just place the egg in the carton?

Thanks.

I'm using my 3 tray wooden incubator (used) gotten for me for Christmas for the first time. I'm nervous. Tomorrow is day 18 for me too!!!!

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Just lay the carton flat, dont close it. I always cut the lid off before I up my humidity for hatch so it is not in the way. This way it does not hamper the chick getting out freely. If you close the lid it makes it much harder for the baby to hatch out.

6. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    O cut the lid off and trim about a quarter of the top off so whan the egg sit in it it is only half in the carton. I cyt a hole in the bottom of each one about the size of a dime to let air circulate.

I prefer to use the cardbosrd ones. [​IMG]

7. brkuk

brkuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Howell, Mi
    Thanks for the quick replies. I think I'm gonna use the carboard egg carton. When they hatch will they just get out and walk out of the carton or will they need help?

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

The carton is the best. They hatch out faster and have an easier time since the egg isnt rolling around and them having to readjust themselves. And it makes for easier clean up.

Cut the top off, and cut holes in the bottom of each egg holder for air flow. The chicks will pop the top off the egg, and then wiggle out of the egg/carton.

9. luvchikies

luvchikies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    ok im going to use a cardboard egg carton box too so I cut the lid off and then I cut a little hole at the bottom of the egg holders and Lay the pointy side of the egg down and the air sac up right?

10. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    is it ok to use styrofoam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by