Day 18 duck egg - found slight crack - UPDATE!! Healthy ducklings!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lsv313, May 14, 2011.

1. lsv313

lsv313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Ack! When I went to candle my eggs, I noticed a hairline crack on of of them. It is still alive - I saw it moving around in there - but now I am worried whether or not it can still make it. I have heard of other people putting wax, glue, or tape on - however those instances all seem to be with incubators. Mine are under a broody hen, so I am not sure if that will make a difference. Will the hen attack the egg if it has something foreign on it? This is my first hatch and we only have 2 eggs (started with 4, but 2 proved to be duds). From what I understand of duck eggs, they still have a week or two to go. Is there still hope for this baby? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Where on the egg is the crack? Best case would be that it is over the air cell - it can increase the rate of moisture loss- but there is less rick to the duckling if it is there. -You can put a little wax on it- but no glue that is toxic- or that would impede the duckling being about to hatch should it survive. The crack will increase the risk of bacteria entering the egg. Ten days to go.. I hope it makes it for you.

3. Mrs.brown

Mrs.brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    I had a day 5 chicken egg that had a hairline crack on it. I dripped some candle wax on it and now its developing like the others

4. lsv313

Jul 23, 2010
    Everett, WA
    It was in the air sac, but now it seems like it also comes down the side pretty far. it is still just a hairline crack though. We went ahead and put beeswax on it - hopefully mamma hen won't try to pick it off and crack it even more [​IMG] I really hope it makes it! [​IMG]

5. lsv313

Jul 23, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Day 30, and both eggs hatched beautiful baby duckies! Only 1 is in the pic, but they're both there! [​IMG] The wax worked! [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by