Day 18 for me :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Acre of Blessings, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    And this go round, since there are 22 in the bator, I am not going to do the egg carton method. What do you all think the hatch rate will be without the cartons?

I hope all 22 eggs hatch. [​IMG] right now with the eggs I have already hatched (7 out of 9) my hatch rate is somewhere around 78%. Not to bad for a beginner. The 2 that didn't hatch -- 1 was infertile and 1 drowned. I used the egg carton method during these 2 hatches.

So tell me what you think of the egg carton method and do you or do you not use it during large hatches.

2. ButtonQuailBoy

ButtonQuailBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Throop PA 18512
    I've heard it doesn't work well but that's just what I've heard...well good luck!

MC Cool Jay
    [​IMG]

3. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    Many have used it the egg carton method successfully. Search for the posts to see the info on it. There are alot of photos taken thru the incubator tops of hatches in progress in the egg cartons.

I believe the idea is to keep the egg still so it can progress easier & not be rolled onto the opposite side of a pip by a newly hatched chick. I'm sure experienced members can post more informational info for you [​IMG]

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I do not use the egg carton method and have numerous 100% hatches. My eggs get rolled all over the place and have not had any issues. Good luck with your hatch. Hoping for 100% for you too! [​IMG]

Jody

5. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Thanks---I am hoping for a 100% also. If so this will take my number of chicks/ens to 55.

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I'm giving it a try this time just for my own curiousity, but I've had no problem with just laying the eggs on their sides. [​IMG]

7. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    The reason for not using the egg carton method this time is because I would have to use 2 18 count cartons and that will leave no room for the to walk around.

I guess you could say the same for me. Doing this for curiousity. Hope it works.

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Good luck, and I'll be interested to see how this works for you. Last weekend's hatch rate was 71% (first time) and I didn't use the cartons, but there were 41 eggs and absolutely no room. When I set the new batch this weekend, I'm cutting back to 35-36 eggs and would like to try the egg cartons, if two 18's will fit.

Good luck on your hatch!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I have an LG bator and 2 18 count cartons fit with minimal space to move around, this is why I would like to hatch this time w/out the carton. The only reason for the carton is less mess anyways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by