Day 18 for my Showgirls!...*UPDATE* Bad News

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChicknThief, Mar 17, 2008.

1. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    That is soooo cool!
    Congratulations!! [​IMG]

2. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Songster

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    [​IMG]

Okay, chick number two is here and it is a silkie. Either black or red.

3. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Songster

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    There are no black showgirls in this hatch, so it is a red. [​IMG] Yay!!!

4. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Songster

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
  5. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Songster

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    OK, so from what I hear at home I have 2 red silkies, and 1 splash showgirl, as well as 3 progressing pips. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Songster

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I just had a chick (another splash showgirl [​IMG] ) hatch with its two outermost toes connected, the longer of the two bent in such a way that the tips of the two toes were connected, and the rest of the longer toe was also connected to the shorter one. Sorry if I am not making sense, I am just a little frantic, LOL. I got some sewing scissors (EXTREMELY sharp and clean cutting) and snipped the skin in between the toes. Then I put some flour on it to stop the bleeding. The only problem left is that the longer toe is still bent. What do I do? How quickly do I need to act before the toe is permanently crooked?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  7. JackieK318

JackieK318 Songster

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    Get a craft stick and some bandage tape. Fashion her a shoe - I'd say the sooner the better. Make sure the stick (sole) doesn't stick too far out from her foot or she'll trip often. Be sure also to change the shoe so she doesn't get poop on it and infect the foot.

8. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Songster

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    The operation on the toe went really well. The toes separated perfectly, but the middle toe is curved to the outside (right), not underneath. So how could we correct that??

We had another dark silkie born but it only lived a few minutes. It had a difficult hatch and just wasn't strong enough.

We just had a BLUE showgirl hatch!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] And one more is pipped and peeping, but not progressed yet. I think that leaves 4 with nothing.

I just tried to post pics, but got disconnected twice in the middle of download on photobucket!! I hate computers!! [​IMG] And after working last night, I don't have the patience to deal with this. Jess will have to do it when she gets home!!

9. orlandoluv1

orlandoluv1 Songster

Mar 20, 2008
    spring valley , CA
    wow how exciting well i hope that hte rest goes well for you we definately want some pictures. i would definately get that little guys toe and tape it to a toothpick or something so that i can straighten out now. they are still pretty pliable and it will probably correct itself if you try soemthing now. good luck wiht that. im sorry about the little one that didnt make it. that is alwasy realy hard. but you cant let yourself get too sad becasue you ahve a bunch of new babies to make you happy again. well happy hatching!

10. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Songster

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Bad News. I pipped the big ends on the five that weren't doing anything. All dead.

1 fully formed partridge showgirl, did not pip air cell

1 half formed splash silkie, did not pip air cell

1 half formed splash showgirl, did not pip air cell

1 fully formed splash silkie, did not pip air cell, was morbidly deformed

1 half formed blue showgirl, did not pip air cell

So this leaves me with:

3 partridge silkies

1 splash showgirl

1 red showgirl

1 partridge showgirl

1 black showgirl

1 egg in the hatcher that is pipped and still alive.

So a healthy combo of good and bad news for ya! We should get a smilie that is half smile half frown! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: