Day 18 For Shipped Breese Eggs. Air Cells Are Big, But Have Water In Some Of Them

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FourShuesFarm, Mar 21, 2017.

1. FourShuesFarm

FourShuesFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2017
    Day 18 For Shipped Breese Eggs. Air Cells Are Big, But Have Water In Some Of Them.

Sorry for the long title. I was able to hatch 14 of 20 detached air cell RIR birds about a month ago. Having dealth with the detached (saddle and such) air cells and feel pretty confident on hatching shipped eggs. However this late in the game and still seeing water in the nice and big aircells is a bit disturbing.

I am usig a Hovabator. I only added water at the start of the hatch in the center cell. The bator is running at about 45% humidity, and has been since the first week or so, With the humidity at 45% I would expect the water to almost be gone as the aircells have receeded nicley. Of 26 I set, I lost 2 at the day 8 candling (yolkers), and I lost 2 more at day 18 (the gave up).

So right before lockdown on day 18 I candle to get out any bad ones and make sure the air cells are right, and the chicks are alive. I then place the eggs in a cardboard egg carton with holes inthe botton of each cell for better air flow through the carton. Also last hatch haing the eggs sitting on end duing hatch didnt affect anything as far as I can tell.

The ony thing that has me worried at this point is some of the chicks drownig in that water I see in the air cell. I decided to not add any water for humity duing lockdown. When I se the first PIP, I plan to fill a cupple of channels and set a few wet paper towels to raise the humidity for the fianl stages of the hatch

I hope I can loose alot of thie water in the air cell durig lock down, any advice or tips deling with excess water in th aircells is much apprciated.

Hopefully this will be the last Shipped egg hatch for a long time. I hope to breed my own birds real soon. Thanks for your time, Tom PS sorry for any typos, its been a really long 18 hour day, :)

2. FourShuesFarm

FourShuesFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2017
    Nodda. well I dropped the humidity to 30% by cracking the bator. Temps able to maintain 93.2f. I wonder if I drop the temps to like 89-85ish would it slow down the hatch and allow the water to evaporate in a extra few days, or will the cooling off shock the eggs and kill the chicks?

Grrrrrr, I just dont know what exactly I am supposed to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by