1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 18 found 2 eggs set upside down!!! How do i lockdown??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by loot4louie, Feb 22, 2016.

1. loot4louie

loot4louie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Ringoes NJ
    I set a large number of eggs, and candled randomly throughout. I obviously never candled these as they were set upside down. Im on day 18! Help!! Should I set them in a carton right side up, or leave them on their side??

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I would leave them on there side but u could do the egg carton thing but I would just lay hem on there side and go into lock down

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I would mark the air cells (I mark all my air cells) and lay them on their side, with the lowest point of the air cell facing up. That way you have an idea about where they should pip and if the are malepositioned you can keep an eye on them.

4. loot4louie

Mar 10, 2010
    Ringoes NJ
    Thank you!!! I will do!! I already have one -that was right side up- pipping ( on day 18)mid shell with his air cell way above him . Ugh confused chicks!!

1 person likes this.
  5. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    I always have mine air side up
    Through the hatch UNTILL day 18
    Then I will put them on their side
    And it always worked for me

6. loot4louie

Mar 10, 2010
    Ringoes NJ
    Yes, I normally set air side up. The 2 I missed were very symmetrical and I never double checked them, so they were air cell down:( The guy pipping mid shell was correct. No idea why he busted out below the air cell. Thank You all!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by