Day 18.. is chick dead?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by americana-chick, Dec 15, 2009.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Yesterday i candled the egg and the chick was moving around and looked really healthy then today (day 18) he isnt moving at all.. it looks like he might have started breathing with the air sack but that wouldnt stop him from moving right? What are your thoughts about this? i dont know if he is sleeping or not.. but i sure hope that both eggs hatch because i only have 2 eggs in the incubator right now.
    Thanks!

2. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    Day 18 is a little early to say its dead. My chicks hatched by a broody hen took about 19 days, but the same batch of eggs put in the bator on the same day, are taking 21+ days to hatch. This is my first time incubating, so I'm not sure if it normally takes longer by bator.

3. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Its probably just sleeping...I will cross my fingers and hope your baby hatches
    [​IMG]

4. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    It's only day 18 be patient.

5. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    When they get further along and bigger its harder to see movement because it is harder for them to move in such a small space and its also darker. Patience. Don't give up! Here's hoping for a great hatch for you! [​IMG]

Also don't candle or open the bator anymore after lockdown. The humidity is important for a successful hatch!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  6. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Isn't day 18 usually lockdown day in an incubator? I locked down on day 18 with mine and day 21 saw all 6 out...three of those were also refrigerated eggs, 3 were fresh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by