Day 18 is tomorrow!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mamaboyd, May 22, 2008.

1. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    How am I going to get any sleep now that the chicks are due to arrive sometime on the weekend? I loved being able to turn the eggs and candle them. I think I'll be hanging out over the bator watching like a hawk to see what goes on in there.

I guess after they are hatched, we'll have to add more eggs so that I have something to do for another 21 days. Goodness this hatching thing is addicting!! [​IMG]

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Same here and terrified!!! Are you going to turn yours tomorrow? I decided to stop tonight since opinions are so varied on it! Good luck on your babies! It is gonna be a long couple of days!!!

3. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Lol....you are funny...I am like that too. I cant wait for my baby chicks to arrive to my post office from the hatchery.

4. mamaboyd

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    I think I'll turn my eggs in the morning and than I'll be done. Just have to get that one last fix in before I can't open the bator anymore! [​IMG]

luvmychicknkids: good luck on your hatch too! [​IMG] How many do you have in the bator?? This is neat having someone else hatching at the same time!

Alex: Best of luck for when your babies arrive from the post office! [​IMG]

5. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I started with 17 and am down to 12.....2 weren't fertile and 3 died during a temp spike on day 3. [​IMG] They are a mix of my Golden Campine roo (who was killed and is the reason for this hatch) and a mix of hens.

How many and what are you hatching? Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool to see someone else on the same day, too!!! I do know what you mean about needing that fix!!!! I want to crawl in the incubator with them!!!!! I have to be gone all day tomorrow (I am a house wife so I am normally home) because it is field day at my kids school......I am gonna worry all day!!!

6. mamaboyd

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    I have 17 eggs in there now out of 22. I had to remove 5 at day 10 because I saw nothing in them and they ended up being unfertile. My eggs are a cross of barred rock(daddy) and my hens are a mix, I'm thinking buff orp crossed with something( special hatchery birds which they won't say what is in them, but my girls look like they have buff orps in them). Should be interesting to see what the chicks look like!

I know what you mean about worrying when you're not there, I'm a stay at home too, and all of a sudden it's field trip time and this and that. Thank goodness my chicks will be born by the time my field trip with my one son arrives next Friday. I don't quite trust my DH to keep watch! I hope to acquire some different types of eggs/birds in the near future once I get my hubby to build some more coops!

Try not to worry too much tomorrow...sending good vibes you're way! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    We should be on Day 18 here. I turned them this morning, but I'm only going to do it once more today and then get stuff situated in there for them. I've got to fill the water up and kiss them good luck. LOL I'm kidding. But I will be watching the bator like a hawk. They should hatch Monday or so. I'm hoping for at least one early guy, since I have monday emails with our nieces. These are their chicks. [​IMG]

ETA- I've read that you should have the same hatch results if you stop turning on Day 14, as you do if you stop turning on Day 18. Fwiw.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2008
  8. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Yep, after day 18th hits, I'm worthless and can't get anything done.

Sending hatching vibes your way!

Good luck w/ your hatch and keep us posted on it's progress.

9. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Wow, three of us on day 18. How is everyone doing? I survived field day. didn't really have a chance to think about them....chasing 3 little boys all over the school grounds all day. Now I am home and want to get my chickies out of their eggs. I kinda cheated. Figured since some turn until the end of day 18 I could candle two...one from each side of the bator. They were dark, almost impossible to see and moving a bit....so.......so far so good!!!! We need to all keep each other posted on any developments!!!!!!!

10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I've been checking every 2 hours... no updates here... Ugh, this is going to be a longgggggg weekend [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by