Day 18 lockdown! Have a question though..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JaymeSue95, Feb 20, 2017.

1. JaymeSue95

JaymeSue95 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2014
    Logansport Indiana
    [​IMG]

So this is my second attempt to hatch (first time the thermometer was off by 15 degrees so they all failed to hatch) this time I got a new one and all seems good! I've candled a few times and the light eggs I am able to see in had movement! Just candled last night and still moving! Today however I went to take the turner out and realized the turner was unplugged!! I know it was plugged in during the first couple weeks I have no idea how it got unplugged or when..maybe one of our dogs hit it idk!! :( Do you think they will be okay?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Go get a bowl of vanilla ice cream, add some of your favorite fruit, and chill. You are doing great.

Chicken eggs do not have to be turned after two weeks. Early in incubation the turning helps the body parts form in the right places. It also keeps the yolk or developing chick from coming into contact with the inside of the shell where it can get stuck. But by two weeks all body parts have formed and a membrane has developed around the chick to protect it from coming into contact with the inside of the egg. We normally wait until lockdown at day 18 to stop turning, but that’s more for convenience to up the humidity and stop turning at the same time form a need to turn until the last minute.

It’s after two weeks, you are good to go. Wishing you a good hatch.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

Totally agree with Ridgerunner EXCEPT skip the fruit and go for the hot fudge, whipped cream and nuts...don't forget a cherry. [​IMG] (Of course this could be why I packed on weight after having my son. [​IMG])

4. Calichicken2015

Calichicken2015 Chillin' With My Peeps

X3...and throw in a brownie or warm cookie with those goodies!!!!! waiting for the pips to start is the HARDEST part of hatching!! Good luck! What type are you hatching? Oh...and pics are a MUST when they do[​IMG] Helps those of us out who are not hatching yet [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Oh ya...brownie... [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. JaymeSue95

Oct 19, 2014
    Logansport Indiana
    A chick has pipped already!! [​IMG]

7. JaymeSue95

Oct 19, 2014
    Logansport Indiana
    [​IMG]

8. JaymeSue95

Oct 19, 2014
    Logansport Indiana
    Another one pipped!

9. Calichicken2015

Calichicken2015 Chillin' With My Peeps

CONGRATS!!!! Any babies out yet?

10. JaymeSue95

Oct 19, 2014
    Logansport Indiana
    @Calichicken2015

Yes only 6 out of 32 eggs though so far :/ not seeing any new pips...just transferred the last 4 to the brooder.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by