Day 18 - lockdown!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Erba, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Erba

Erba Songster

May 4, 2018
    Bollschweil, Germany
    Ok, I hope all the eggs are ok, because I didn't want to candle/disturb them more than needed and maybe jinx it. I have left the hygrometer in there so I can check it through the window, now that the
    turner is gone, there is enough room to leave it in. I have the eggs touching each other, because I read something cool here, they communicate with each other. :thumbsup

20190722_161838.jpg 20190722_161938.jpg

The suspense is killing me....

2. Nicaragua

Nicaragua Chirping

Jun 17, 2019
    French Alps
    Oooooooh how exciting! You're absolutely right, no interfering from now on so that you keep that humidity nice and high.
    Not so sure about the eggs touching each other, my manual said to spread them apart so that the ones against the edge didn't get stuck.
    But then again, under a mama hen they are all smooshed up together, so...
    Just keep an eye on them, and listen for chirping in the next few days.

Erba likes this.
  3. Erba

Erba Songster

May 4, 2018
    Bollschweil, Germany
    Yes, I keep repeating to myself, hands off that incubator! Look but no messing! LOL

AmyJane725 and Nicaragua like this.
  4. Nicaragua

Nicaragua Chirping

Jun 17, 2019
    French Alps
    I was just EXACTLY the same! :lau
    "No touching - no touching - no touching... :barnie"

I'm leaving it to the mama hens now, much less stressful...

Keep us posted!

ScottyGill and Helloworld like this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Good luck..I Lockdown on day 19 though. Doesn't matter..:frow

Erba likes this.
  6. Erba

Erba Songster

May 4, 2018
    Bollschweil, Germany
    The two mama hens here wouldn't go broody. I waited and waited but I desperately need more chickens and they weren't playing ball.

Nicaragua and chickens really like this.
  7. Morgank

Morgank Songster

Jul 3, 2018
    Europe, Estonia
    Good luck! Little advice, make sure that the other eggs remain in the same position after first eggs hatch. Chicks start rallying in there. I always put a small fence in between. An egg with a window I remove on the other side of incubator.

Nicaragua and Erba like this.
  8. ScottyGill

ScottyGill Songster

I've just finished a hatch. Ended up with 3 healthy chicks out of 9 eggs. The no touching is difficult and I had gaps between hatchings. It's been a rollercoaster of emotions. I'll follow your journey.

Erba and Nicaragua like this.
  9. Erba

Erba Songster

May 4, 2018
    Bollschweil, Germany
    Good to know, the turners have slot ins, and are a perfect fence for football hooligans...lol

Nicaragua likes this.
  10. Nicaragua

Nicaragua Chirping

Jun 17, 2019
    French Alps
    @Erba Aw, that's tough. I've got the opposite problem : first bantam cochin girl lays about 10 eggs over 2 weeks and goes into unbreakable broody mode.
    So we let her sit after trying to convince her otherwise for a couple of weeks.
    And when her chicks turned 2 weeks old and started wandering in with the flock, my other bantam cochin AND my easter egger must have thought that the fluffballs were way too cute, and that they wanted some of their own.
    They have unsuccessfully sat for 3 weeks in broody-jail, had meds to lower their temp, had their butts soaked in water but guess what...I had to slip them 3 eggs each this weekend.
    You win this one, chickens. :mad:

So if you're looking for broodies, needless to say I highly recommend bantam cochins.

Erba and ScottyGill like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: