1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Day 18! Pip? Eek! :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by featherz, Aug 18, 2010.

1. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick 8 Years

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Ok guys, it's day 18 (and a half) and one of my silkie eggs has pipped. The temps have been rock steady at 99.6 in the brinsea but it was warm when they shipped - think maybe they started while 'resting' in my 82+ degree house?

If I get a chick, will post pics. [​IMG] On a side note, is it safe that I'm hatching LF with silkies? the big ones won't stomp the little ones, right? [​IMG]

2. featherz

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Now a second egg is rockin and rolling and I see the big question mark I penciled on the side. Guess that answer that question. [​IMG]

3. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    My last hatch was early I had 2 hatch on day 18 and 5 on day 19, unfortunately 2 of the early ones didn't make it, still not sure why but they hatched fine, then were very weak. Hope the best for your hatch.

4. featherz

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    thanks - I have a lot of silkie eggs so I hope at least a few make it! Now some of my BIG eggs are rocking (jersey giant). Those are eggs from a local person, so it's entirely possible they had a few days incubation time in there somewhere.. I hear cheeping!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: