Day 18 Results

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ZuniBee, Jan 29, 2008.

1. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    Well its day 18 and I just finished taking out the automatic turner and candled each egg as I put it back in the bator. I saw movement in almost every egg....so I know they are alive but, the question now becomes will they hatch!

This is the first time I have ever seen movement in the egg. I must admit it was pretty neat to see them move around. The trick is to hold the light and be patient. Before I was in such a hurry to get them back in I just looked and nothing moved so I put them back. This time I decided to look for a few seconds and walah!

I removed 3 of the eggs that were questionable on Day 11 (they were not growing at all) and I have 4 that are strange looking. There IS movement inside the four eggs but it looks like the chicks only take up half the egg. Maybe they will hatch late? Or maybe they were in a position where I couldn't see them good? Don't know. But, they were moving so at least they were alive on day 18.

So, this is what I have in the bator right now ready to hatch:

4 Blue Orpingtons (2 questionable)
    8 Ameraucanas (1 questionable)
    4 Barred Rocks (one questionable)
    9 Blue Jersey Giants

So I chould get quite a few chicks! Also, there are 7 of my mixed flock egg layers and 2 Jersey Giants under the broody in the coop that are on day 16!

Hopefully I will have a good hatch!

I hate this part! day 18 to 21........

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Good luck with your hatch...fingers crossed for you. [​IMG] This is really the hardest part. Stay strong and come talk to us when you get skeered. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jody

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Doesn't sound too shabby, Jay! Hey, if you don't get enough Blue Orps this time, come late spring when my new pullets begin laying, what say you do a fertility test for me? [​IMG]

4. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    You got it Cyn! I'm very happy with the results so far.

Thanks Jody....I just have to leave them alone and wait. Humidity is 65 and temp is 99.6 and I WON"T open the bator....

5. Ooooh! I can't wait to see the JG chicks, I am SO looking forward to getting my JG eggs (tomorrow, hopefully).
    Oh, and good luck with the rest of the hatch.
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by