Day 18 shrink wrapped egg in nest box!

CAjerseychick

Songster
7 Years
Jun 25, 2012
Northern California!
So came home after 2 days away at work.... 2 of the eggs setting in my nest box are broken (long story, hens wouldnt stay on the eggs when I tried moving them) one completely, and a formed feathered squashed chick was visible, the other with the outer shell broken half off but with the membrane all thickened and the chick was shrinkwrapped (? I think that is the term), there was also some blood and I noticed a small crack in the egg (scabbed over)... So I did I thought long and hard about it, and buried the egg (did not think the chick had much chance).....

My question is, I usu a liberal layer of diatiemaceous earth (cant spell) in the floor of the coop and in the nest boxes - its been great for pest control-- could this be lowering the humidity in the coop? ( Somewhere someone said the shrink wrapped thing happens d/t low humidity and it can but not often happen in nest boxes/ eggs brooded outside an incubator)..
Or did it just happen b/c the 2nd egg got partially broken and the shell peeled off over the 2 days?....
Am so nervous....
I think we are on day 19 (or 20!!!!) that chick looked pretty developed.... Also I dont hear any sounds from the eggs.. do you only hear chirping during the actually hatching/ after the egg has pipped?
We stopped handling the eggs as of yesteray (sorry newbies, didnt know about lockdown til yesterday)....

Would really appreciate responses its out first hatch (we hope) from our first hens.....

We're the two smashed eggs under the broody still? If she wasn't on them or got off them then that's when they shrink wrapped :(, try not to be hard on yourself it's all a learning curve...I learned that the hard way too and finally made arrangements where I segregate my broody completely!

GL on the rest of your eggs! How many more are there? They still might not have started internally pipping, be patient it will be soon enough and try not to peak and look under her until she gets off the eggs herself :)

We're the two smashed eggs under the broody still? If she wasn't on them or got off them then that's when they shrink wrapped
sad.png
, try not to be hard on yourself it's all a learning curve...I learned that the hard way too and finally made arrangements where I segregate my broody completely!

GL on the rest of your eggs! How many more are there? They still might not have started internally pipping, be patient it will be soon enough and try not to peak and look under her until she gets off the eggs herself
smile.png

Well I was gone 2 days, so day 3 when I got home- we waited til she got off, there was the dead chick smashed off to one side, the shrink wrapped one was in with the rest of the eggs, half peeled and that part was the shrink wrapped part -she'd had been on the eggs, but ocasionally, the other ones get in and lay eggs when she is out for her break mid AM and I am thinking one may have inadvertantly broken the eggs hopping up there (also I have an egg eater so she may have pecked open the 2 eggs)...
I tried to lock her into a dog crate early on one night with her eggs, but she ran off the next AM when I opened the door to check on her, and then return and sat in the nest box, still broody but not on any eggs! SO I moved the eggs back under her into the nest box.... I think day21 is Friday (but it could be Thursday or Sat as well)....

Ive had that happen too, my EE likes to lay on top on my broody momma (or used to, now I make sure she's all alone bc it will just keep happening)...there could be a beautifully clean other nesting box and she will sit on top her. :rolleyes:

I mean if she can't be separated then it might happen again :/ but Idk anything about moving a broody about to hatch either so hoping maybe something with more experience chimes in and wish you the best of luck on the rest of the hatch! She really shouldn't break now at lock down so hopefully she'll stay put and hatch those babies out soon! :)

ALSO, we have just had some die of unknown reasons and I KNOW no other chicken got in with momma so sometimes we just don't know but day 19 is a little early so idk? GL!

Back
Top Bottom