1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 18 Uncertain....UGGH!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Purpletie3, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Purpletie3

Purpletie3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Upstate NY...
    I am going into Day 18. I started with 17 eggs. I have now 5 with good development and 3 questionables. The two questionables are so far behind where the other 5 are and one I just can't see well through due to color. I hate to throw them out...and I hate for them to blow during lockdown and kill my viables.

Is there a way to seperate them in a Hovabator that you would feel comfortable leaving them in? Should I try and make a makeshift cooler bater to put the other 3 in?

This is my first hatch...they are some pretty expensive eggs...having a hard time deciding what is the way to go on this...

They were all shipped eggs. Looked like the box was dropped on one end. They had detatched air cells...and the ones left have all attached properly. Not sure if that would account for laggard development.

Thanks for your help!

2. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have never dealt with shipped eggs before. However, I have dealt with delayed development eggs. Typically if the eggs were all set at the same time and one falls seriously far behind then the chick inside has died. I usually wait until the chick is about a week behind the others before cracking open the eggs. Every time it got to that point the chick had died early in the development.

If you still want to put the three uncertains in lock down. I would suggest a separate incubator, if you have one. I don't know of another way isolate the risks of a possible egg rupture.

Best of luck with the chicks. Please, keep me posted on the hatching updates.

3. Purpletie3

Apr 30, 2014
    Upstate NY...
    Thanks for your suggestion... I do not have another incubator at this moment but thought of throwing one together... I feel like a nervous Mom...I think I gained 10 pounds this last couple weeks!

4. wornoutmomto3

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't know if you have time to get one put together and stabilized in time for lock down. I use a homemade cooler incubator not a hovabator, but maybe a piece of trimmed and fitted Plexiglas would work as a dividing wall

5. Purpletie3

Apr 30, 2014
    Upstate NY...
    Good idea on the plexiglass!

I think I may be lucky enough to have thrown something together...I had one of those styrofoam grow containers for plants with the light in the base. I put glass on top and wrapped it in bubble wrap and I have a silver reflective bubble wrap I put inside to cut half the space down. Then I brought a ball jar to 100 degrees with water and that is inside. Waiting for temps to rise....I am at 98 degrees now with an 11 w bulb. Crossing my fingers to get lucky here!

So, going into lockdown I have 2 Belgian Quail D'Anver (Out of 4)
    One Blue Silkie (Out of 4)
    One Easter Egger bantam
    One Red Silkie

The questionables are One Easter Egger Bantam and two red silkies...

I hope someone makes it...I lost my girls to a predator attack in July. This is the first time trying again.

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Do you have any ventilation for air in the home made set up?? Good luck

7. Purpletie3

Apr 30, 2014
    Upstate NY...
    @Amy....no, I don't. I do have a few vent holes but no fan blower. Is that necessary?

8. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    No, fan isn't necessary, just didn't know if it had holes for air. I do know that with no fan (still air) bators recommend 102 degrees instead of the 99.5 degrees that is recommended for forced air bators.

9. Purpletie3

Apr 30, 2014
    Upstate NY...
    The makeshift incubator was a bust. I candled the three left and it looked like they were still progressing so, I made a blockade with some foil insulation stuff. Hopefully, if they blow it will be isolated...crossing fingers. Friday should be hatch day.

10. wornoutmomto3

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    To bad about the extra incubator. Hopefully the blockade isn't even necessary and you have a bunch of peeping chicks this weekend. [​IMG]
    Rooting for you.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by